Original posting:

A Middle school LMS (recently national board certified!) has this question
for you. We want to preview databases with author information. She had an
8th grade  class in the other day using Thomson Gale database called
"Litfinder for schools," and finally gave up and used the subscription
Grolier databases (Americana, Grolier Multimedia, New Book of Knowledge).
The assignment included a wide selection of authors including:  Hawthorne,
Alcott, Austen, Bradbury, Bronte, Kipling, Melville, etc.

The kids needed dates of birth and death, family background, education,
other books or stories published, honors and awards, difficulties overcome,
and other interesting facts.

1.      Do you know of or use a subscription database with such author
information?

2.      Do you know of or use an internet site with such information?

Replies included:

Contemporary Author (Gale)

Literature Resource Center (Gale)

Scribner Writers Series (Gale)

Twayne's Author Series (Gale)

Wilson Biographies Plus Illustrated (H.W. Wilson)

Biography Reference Bank (H.W. Wilson)

Student Resource Center, Bronze or Gold (Gale)

Gale Literature Resource Center (Gale)

Oxford American National Biography site ($250.00/year!)

Gale's Biography Resource Center

EBSCO's NoveList

Gale's Discovering Authors

This isn't a single site, but here's what I use with my students-

http://www.quia.com/pages/crestonauthorstudy.html
<http://www.quia.com/pages/crestonauthorstudy.html>

Have a look at the list of links at

http://www.shambles.net/pages/school/author/
<http://www.shambles.net/pages/school/author/>

This is a subsection of the main library page at

http://www.shambles.net/librarian/ <http://www.shambles.net/librarian/>

And last, my personal favorite: (telling my age here, folks!)

Some times you just can't beat a good reference set!  There are many good
ones available that will do the "major hitters" of literature.

Thanks to everyone.

Linda Walkup

Library Media Resource Teacher/Trainer

Tulsa Public Schools