"I recently had a group come in needing prayers for the Rite of Annointing.
I split the group into three smaller groups.  Two I gave different print
resources and one I let use the Internet (they were so happy at the time).
I'm sure you know what happened. "

This is a real apples and oranges type of comparison. Internet is not a
library. And while being  encyclopedic, it is not an encyclopedia. Do
students get equivalent book and digital resource instruction?  Kids with
Velco sneakers tend to be awkward with laceups. Kids with some guided
instruction in search engines get skills.

What were the 'different print resources'? How did kids know which and
where? 'Let use' implies non-guided effort by students. What would have
happened if the two print groups were told 'look in the library'? Have
students been instructed on use in both paper and digital specialized
resources? Is there a library webpage of resources on your school site?

Were groups given the same level of assistance looking within a resource in
terms of using index, links, spelling, keywords?

Was there any collaboration with teacher about resources before assignment?
There are many searches where the answer isn't one step. Maybe kids need to
find a deep web resource and look in there.

Isn't 'find to be easily distracted' similar to 'discover other aspects and
further information' with a bit of bias?

Robert Eiffert, Librarian
Pacific Middle School
Evergreen SD 114 Vancouver WA
beiffert@egreen.wednet.edu