Hello, All:

Here are all of your wonderful suggestions for younger kids who love
Orlando Bloom and Strider and Gimli.  All comments are from the
original replies but I've left off individuals' names.  Some of these
titles still seem more upper elementary to me.  However, I may be
underselling my students' capabilities.  We shall see.
Thank you, everyone.

The Hobbit: an illustrated edition adapted by Charles Dixon is a great
comic
version.  Difficult for a comic but much easier than the original.

  Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket

C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia

Spiderwick Series

Redwall series by Jacques

Endless Quest... written by Rose Estes.

Artemis Fowl

The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander...there are 5 books,
The Book of Three
The Black Cauldron
The Castle of Llyr
Taran Wanderer
The High King

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (Dealing with
Dragons, Searching for Dragons, Calling on Dragons,
Talking to Dragons)

The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley.

Rowan and the Zebak by Emily Rodda

Books by Jackie French Koller:
1. The Dragonling (ISBN 0-671-86790-3)
Darek can?t wait for his first Dragon Quest. Then he can be just like
his older brother, Clep, the hero who brought down a Great Blue, the
largest and fiercest dragon of all. Darek goes to admire the kill - and
finds a dragonling peeking out of the giant dragon?s pouch. Scared but
curious, he feeds the hungry baby and makes an unlikely friend. But to
save the helpless dragonling he must now venture into the fearsome
Valley of the Dragons!
2. A Dragon in the Family (ISBN 0-671-89786-1)
Ever since Darek saved Zantor the dragonling, they?ve been inseparable.
Darek is the only family Zantor has ever known. But now Darek is
bringing Zantor home from the Valley of the Dragons. The villagers are
up in arms! Darek and his brother Clep are called traitors. Their best
friends are turning against them. Even Darek?s father has been
threatened for allowing the dragon in the village. How can Darek prove
that dragons are good when the village has turned against them all?
3. Dragon Quest (ISBN 0-671-00193-0)
4. Dragons of Krad (ISBN 0-671-00194-9)
5. Dragon Trouble (ISBN 0-671-01399-8)
6. Dragons and Kings (ISBN 0-671-01400-5)

Robin Shtulman
Librarian
Erving Elementary School
Erving, MA