HIT: Countries of the World Complete List:

=20

The CIA World Factbook at
http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/

=20

Try these websites:
http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html
http://www.countryreports.org/
http://www.countrywatch.com/@school/
http://www.geographia.com/
http://www.infoplease.com

=20

Background Notes from the CIA are wonderful.
bottom link in my signature.  Select History and then countries.
Can also surf around the other ones I have there.

=20

Perhaps some of these will work for you.=20
http://memory.loc.gov/frd/cs/=20
http://worldfacts.us/=20
http://countrystudies.us/

=20

Here's the CIA Factbook which has info on most countries:

http://cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html

=20

=20

The CIA World Fact book has a very easy to use Country search.  This is
the address: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/      Please
post a hit.  I have a lot of site for US states and info but have not
found many for countries.=20

=20

I'm sending you the URL for a section of my library site.  I've created =
list of extensive links for researching countries on the web.  I =
especially
like the one called "Worldwide Governments on the Web" because it has =
many
official sites of countries, regions, provinces, cities, as well as =
travel
guide type links, such as Lonely Planet.  Go to:
http://www.marisths.org/academics_library_geography.htm
(there's an underline between academics & library and between library =
and
geography)

=20

Go to CIA.ORG and click on world fact book. This should help.

=20

If you have access to SIRS Discoverer, It's in a middle school friendly =
format. There are usually two articles that my students use for country =
studies - the country facts and the culture facts, they answer all the =
questions. If they need to find food related info, I have them go to =
google.com and type in the country name and the word cuisine. For most =
countries they will get info on how food is prepared and what the main =
diet is plus they'll get tons of recipes for that country. The CIA site =
is great, too, just too much info for middle school!

=20

Try this website. Very similar to countrywatch but done by the CIA.
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/

=20

The Yahooligans Search Engine has good links.  Also
www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/

=20

Try "InfoNation" which I have not used but just learned about at an in
service. It's by the UN and has some nice features, including one that
allows for making comparison charts. I think it's just infonation.org
Best Wishes,

=20

I have used these sites recently.  Hope this helps.

http://www.countries.com/countries_a-z.html

          =20

                  http://go.hrw.com/atlas/norm_htm/world.htm

                  http://www.infoplease.com/countries.html

                  http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook

                  http://www.about.com/travel

                  http://kidskonnect.com/SubjectIndexHome.html

                    page down to Countries/Places

                  http://lonelyplanet.com/destinations

                  http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/Countries

=20

Try the Portals of the World on the Library of Congress site

=20

One of the best places might be " Countries of the World"  which is
produced by the State Department on each country.  If you go to that web
site, you will probably find reference to it.  Do you have access to the
SIRS database?  If so, they have a lot of information on countries of
the world. Hope that helps.

=20

The Library of Congress has a collection of sites on different =
countries.
Go to the following link and choose Portals of the World.
http://international.loc.gov/intldl/intldlhome.html
I haven't had a chance to look at them, but I like the idea that they =
are
chosen by Library of Congress subject experts.

=20

Gail Borio

CAK

gaborio@esper.com