Hello everyone!  Thank you to all who responded.  The following is my original
question followed by the HIT>
Hello all,

I am a K-1 librarian with a library created just last year.  We have a large
selection of picture books and I am slowly building up our nonfiction section.  We
do not have a reference section at all.  I am researching dictionaries,
encyclopedias and especially atlases as that is covered quite heavily in our
curriculum.  I use Follett titlewave and just subscribed to Children's Library
Resources www.clrbooks.com.  Using these two resources I compared My First
Britannica and Heinemann's First Encyclopedia.  CLR lists these resources as
appropriate for K-2, however Follett suggest grade 3 and up.  What is your
professional opinion?  More importantly, what reference sources do you use with
your kinders and first graders?  Thanks in advance, and I can post a HIT if there
is interest.

Kelly Houck
Dorothy Nolan Elementary School
Saratoga Springs NY

HIT

I am in 2 K-6 schools.  I rarely use encyclopedias with K&1, but I
would
like to suggestion World Book Student Discovery Encyclopedia.  It's
about
$300 and it's worked well with my 2-3rd graders.

I have not used either of the encyclopedias you have
listes, but we have used The Grolier Children's
Encyclopedia with success on first grade projects.

We have also used The World Book Student Encylopedia,
but it is more difficult to read with more topics and
longer articles.
Also take a look at World Book Discovery Encyclopedia.

For dictionaries and thesaurus:
Scholastic First Dictionary ISBN 0-590-96786-X $14.95 (recommended by a
1st gr teacher)
Troll Student Thesaurus  ISBN 0-8167-1856-3 $7.95 (we have class sets
of these paperbacks)
And I would add a good, solid, large upper level dictionary for those
words the teachers come in researching.
Kelly,
I use World Book Student Discovery Encyclopedia.
Also, for non-fiction- you can't go wrong with Grolier's Nature's
Children books. They fly off my shelves. (mine didn't come from Follett
though)
Also, almost you'd do well to buy any non-fiction by Gail Gibbons or
Seymour Simon. My kids also love the National Audubon First Field
Guides.
I use Heinemann's and World Book student discovery encyclopedia which
also includes an atlas in the index.  Heinemann's is lower mostly
animals and places.  Discovery is more 2-4 grade an has more variety of
subjects.  I am not familiar with First Britannica.

 I am in a K-2 school. Honestly, I rarely use encyclopedias with 1's
and
never with K's.  When I do use them with 1's it is to model how we use
them.
for example, when a student asked how old was Dr. Seuss, I sent her for
an
encyclopedia and looked it up, explaining to them what I was doing.
    With 1's and 2's I have find the Student Discovery a good choice.
It is
published by World Book, has short articles, medium sized print, and 13
volumes.
    One good atlas is the Rand McNally Primary Atlas.  I have the big
book
of it and a classroom set for the kids to use.  They like it.
    I would love to know how you use the encyclopedia with your little
folks.