        I too use  Librarian's Grade-By-Grade Activities Program: A Complete
Sequential Skills Plan for Grade K-8" by However, I have adjusted a "Research
Protocol" into our middle school program that is highly successful,
incorporating Internet.  The Kahlthau's "pre-search phase" allows students time to
explore the abundance of data on their subjects, both from books and INTERNET.  All
our students' research begins in books, with keywords as reminders of
meaningful segments of the students readings.  We move on to the INTERNET with
knowledge on the subject.  Advanced search techniques become more meaningful and
fruitful.  My observation is that students, otherwise reluctant to explore hard
copy, are finding their own INTERNET skills enhanced when they prepare ahead of
time.  It is very rewarding for me to be teaching in this environment with
students who are excited about coming to these classes.
Our media center usage for research classes has doubled in the last two
years, to 500 students a day.  That is 1/3 of our student population!
    Reference to Carol Kahlthau is made in Library and Information Science
Program.  After a 20 year career in technology where we utilized research
techniques to map user functionality with precision systems design, I found the
adaptation of Carol Kahlthau to be the most logical and complete of many of the
better known research techniques, including the widely used but rather primitive
Big 6.

Evelyn Westervelt-Johnson, SLMS
Louis Armstrong Middle School
East Elmhurst, NY