EUREKA, I'VE FOUND IT!!!!!!!

Yes, if librarians really want to dramatically increase both their
checkout statistics and increase the usage of existing traditional
"print" resources within their collections, I have discovered a "sure
fire" way to accomplish that goal!!!

In 2001, USD 470 purchased and installed an internet filtering proxy or
program throughout the district.  Since its installation, it has and
continues to  effectively block numerous websites such as:
www. politics1.com/parties.htm
www. nationalgeographic.com
www.allbookstores.com
www.ala.org/booklist/v98/fe1/33carey.html
www.powells.com
www.barnesandnoble.com
www.top10links.com
www.chebucto.ns.ca/Heath/TeenHealth/
http://search.dogpile.com/texis/search?q=gutenberg+video&geo=no&fs=web

http://search.dogpile.com/texis/search?q=saki+and+%22open+window%22&geo=no&fs=web

http://search.dogpile.com/texis/search?q=%22short+stories%22&geo=no$fs=web

http://search.dogpile.com/texis/search?start=8&q=%2Bpsychologists+%2Bbiography&fs=web&brand=dogpile

http://www.tulsa.oklahoma.net/~jnichols/megapsych.html

http://search.dogpile.com/texis/search?q=%22famous+figures+in+psychology%22&geo=no&brands=dogpile&cat=web

http://search.dogpile.com/texis/search?q=%22freud+net%22&geo=no&brand=dogpile&cat=web

http://www.bestwebbuys.com/books
http://nativeculture.com/
http://www.wordorigins.org/
http://www.spanishnewyork.com/

http://www.frencheuropean.com/spanish%20Novels%20N-Z.htm

http://www.classiclit.about.com
http://www.detective.com/
http://www.heritage.org/
_____________________________

Of course, the filter also effectively blocks topics such as
"pornography", "sex and harassment", and etc. even if the student tries
to search such topics within the  "SIRS", "INFOTRAC", or "FIRSTSEARCH"
databases.

As usual, without any imput from librarians or faculty, the Central
Office just installed the filter.  Whether the program can be altered or
customized, who knows. Nevertheless, being resourceful and able to
quickily adapt to any situation, I seized an opportunity to improve and
expand the usage of traditional non-online sources.  I began
compensating for the online "blocked" research topics by targeting
acquisitions specifically on those specific "filtered" topics.

Over the last two years, I have expanded, built up, or added materials
and resources to the collection which are no longer available via the
internet.  Circulation within those collection areas are up!  Yes, the
students continue to be disappointed and frustrated because of the
restricted access resulting from the filter but, as they say, there is a
silver lining to every black cloud.  Job and career survival dictates
one must work within the system and, more importantly, connive and
manipulate every situation and circumstance most convenient and
advantageous to your own self interest and self preservation.

In summary, here is the simple formula:

1. Recommend and convince your administrator or director to purchase the
most indiscriminating filtering program available (easy because it is
usually the cheapest).

2. Do NOT allow input or involvement in the filter acquisition process
especially by people who might have some knowledge or expertise
pertaining to either filter quality, or the ramifications of its
implementation.

3. Once installed, classify the filter details as "top secret".
Communicate as little as possible to those most directly effected by the
installation of the program.

4. Do not create or establish any "simple" method, process, or procedure
by which those actually using the internet can communicate suggestions,
customizing, or improvements to the filter proxy or program.

If one follows these simple tenets, I guarantee an "inverse"
relationship with the decline in online usage to the increase in
"concrete" measurable usage!!!

Observable and measurable student usage is up, and your immediate
supervisor or administrator is duly impressed and looks forward
presenting the new numbers at a future BOE meeting.

Bob Hicks
High school librarian
Arkansas City, KS
aknaten@webtv.net