Maybe you could clarify "..rather primitive Big 6."  To me, Kuhlthau and
Big6 have similar steps. My reading is that Big6 is more a how to for users,
while Kulthau is looking at the learner and describing how they are viewing
the process while learning about a topic during the research process. There
is also the aspect of the teacher viewing the student's learning of both the
topic and the research process. Both provide the necessary 'learning hooks'
for us as LMS or Teacher-Librarian to work with.

I think Kulthau's 2nd step, Selection, is more finely broken down in the
Big6 steps 2 and 3 (Information Seeking Strategies and Location and Access)
which helps in showing both teachers and students the how to aspects. The
Exploration phase, for me, seems to fit in between Big6 Use of Information
and Synthesis (4 and 5) and really helps to clarify that this a period of
looping. Gather information, construct some meaning, discover new areas of
comprehension and need for further information gathering.  The Evaluation
phase of Big6 helps tie it to formalized teaching/learning aspects though it
probably gets short changed in day to day use. Kuhlthau seems to utilize
evaluation as an ongoing piece of critical thinking during the process. That
also fits to her descriptions of what causes problems with implementing or
teaching any research process.

http://big6.com/showarticle.php?id=16
http://www.scils.rutgers.edu/~kuhlthau/Search%20Process.htm

Robert Eiffert, Librarian
Pacific Middle School
Evergreen SD 114 Vancouver WA
beiffert@egreen.wednet.edu
pac.egreen.wednet.edu/library
robert@crypticmachinery.net

 Evelyn Westervelt wrote:

        I too use  Librarian's Grade-By-Grade Activities Program: A Complete
Sequential Skills Plan for Grade K-8" by However, I have adjusted a
"Research Protocol" into our middle school program that is highly
successful, incorporating Internet.  The Kahlthau's "pre-search phase"
allows students time to explore the abundance of data on their subjects,
both from books and INTERNET.  All our students' research begins in books,
with keywords as reminders of meaningful segments of the students readings.
We move on to the INTERNET with knowledge on the subject.  Advanced search
techniques become more meaningful and fruitful.  My observation is that
students, otherwise reluctant to explore hard copy, are finding their own
INTERNET skills enhanced when they prepare ahead of time.  It is very
rewarding for me to be teaching in this environment with students who are
excited about coming to these classes. Our media center usage for research
classes has doubled in the last two years, to 500 students a day.  That is
1/3 of our student population!
    Reference to Carol Kahlthau is made in Library and Information Science
Program.  After a 20 year career in technology where we utilized research
techniques to map user functionality with precision systems design, I found
the adaptation of Carol Kahlthau to be the most logical and complete of many
of the better known research techniques, including the widely used but
rather primitive Big 6.

Evelyn Westervelt-Johnson, SLMS
Louis Armstrong Middle School
East Elmhurst, NY