Netters,

Here are some new ideas for celebrating Read Across America Day/ Dr. Seuss' 100th
Birthday this March 2, 2004 (which is on a Tuesday). Thanks to those who
contributed! For more ideas, see the following post, which is a "HIT" of archived
ideas from prior posts.
For Dr. S Day we have firemen, policewomen, etc. and TV news celebrities come in to
read to the students and tell them why reading is important for their occupation.

We also have TURN off the TV for a day and have your parents sign a paper that
claims you read INSTEAD of watching TV.

We have puzzles from the site and tell about Dr. Seuss life.
I hope to get lots more ideas on your list. - THANKS -Kathie

Joanne, for the past 4 years we have Dr. Seuss' birthday party at my k-5 school.
From 6-7:30  (Note: I think Mary Lou means a p.m. activity) teachers read Dr. Seuss
stories, many dress up with hats and bow ties, slippers, etc. and then we sing
happy birthday and have cake. I get a large sheet cake and then the past few years
we also need a second smaller cake. We have a big library and so we use a small
sound system with a microphone because of babies in strollers. We have a big
turnout and lots of fun - Mary Lou

This is not activity ideas but I just received the Really Good Stuff
catalog. They had a lot of Dr. Seuss paraphernalia, books, bulletin
boards, puppets,etc., at very reasonable prices. The web address is
http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/theme.asp?theme=Dr_Seuss.

I'm anxious to see what you get. This is a big BD. - Karen

A friend bought my new library the large stuffed Cat in the Hat that they had a
Cost Co. At Wal-Mart they had a poster and some window clings. I have put all that
up in the new library. Someone could use it for just in March, but I will leave
mine up through this school year at least. I did what Tamara Jordan wrote to LM_Net
about on 12/4.  (Note: See the next post for Tamara's ideas along with others from
the archive)

 Her Food Services Coordinator had asked for ideas for special menus for the week
of Dr. Seuss' b'day. I thought that was a great idea as ours has done that for us
before when we are celebrating multi cultural events. I e-mailed our nutrition
center with the idea and sent them the two web sites and told them about Read
Across America that happens at that time. They were very receptive and said they
would follow through and would probably contact me as the time came closer. - Pam

Here are three ideas I came up with:

Found a  Cat in the Hat (Christmas) stocking at a chain drug store (Rite-Aid, I
think) . Plan to have kids do some sort of entry and stuff the stocking with their
slips. Might be a guess the number of (Swedish) fish in the jar or perhaps a short
letter to Dr. Seuss about their favorite book. If the latter, will decide on
several winning entries and then make a "book" from the entries (collate with a
laminated front and back cover) for viewing or check out from the library. (Would
also be nice for each class to make their own for the classroom).

Bought at Borders Bookstore (they had very few left, but may be available at toy
stores or drug stores as well): Cat in the Hat Stamp and Ink pad set. Plan to cut
up strips of plain paper  (2 or  3" high and 8 1/2" wide) and allow the kids to
select two stamps to create their own bookmark. They can finish coloring and
decorate in their classrooms and teacher may laminate if desired.

Make a large birthday cake poster from construction paper and write "Happy 100th
Birthday Dr. Seuss" on it, one for each participating classroom (or one per grade
level if they want to work as a team). Each class and/or individual students to
read as many Dr. Seuss books as possible, making one candle (be sure to number
candles as they are added, maybe on the flame part)  for each title read and adding
it to their cake. (Could make blue candles with titles read aloud in the
group/classroom and red candles read by individual students with titles on
candles). First group to reach 100 candles and bring "cake" to library wins (I will
keep it a secret and announce on March 2nd). Would start perhaps two (?) weeks
ahead and send a group of DR. Seuss books to each teacher participating.
Duplication of titles on the cake would be okay, but they must have been read
between the starting and stopping dates, not prior (could be read again to qualify)
to contest. (Student could bring book or note from home to show teacher to verify).
Might display cakes on cafeteria walls after contest, winning cake in library.

(As you can tell I haven't quite worked out the "bugs" on this idea yet!)

Check the next post (a "HIT" of articles from the archive) and if you have OTHER
NEW ideas or suggestions to share, please send them on to me  and I will assembly
them into a 2nd "HIT."

Joanne Ladewig, Library Media Technician (A.K.A. "Library Lady")
Lawrence Elementary, GGUSD Garden Grove, California
shatz1@earthlink.net

" You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one
person."
- - - comments are my own and may not reflect those of my employer- - -