Thanks for the many replies I have received regarding tech support =
costs.=20

A little additional information: It is not my supervisor nor the =
superintendent who are protesting paying for tech support -- they are, =
in fact, very supportive and are also frustrated with all the paperwork. =
It is those higher up in the Department of Education who require it. All =
this paperwork is the result of Governor Davis and the fiasco of a =
computer deal with Oracle for the state, which ended up costing the =
state millions (or was it billions) of dollars.

As a result, all of this paperwork is required for our IT purchases, and =
causes enormous headaches for IT staff and the assistive technology =
staff. Most of our assistive technology items -- JAWS (screen reader), =
Braille Note (a braille notetaker), etc. are sole source. =20

And, I definitely want to keep tech support. We had a major problem one =
time that took about three days and the combined efforts of Sagebrush =
tech support and our IT person to solve.

The answers I have received:

Follett
1. We use Follett and pay an annual support on one P.O. for all of our =
27 automated schools. The 2004 - 2005 support agreement was $13,272.75.  =
This includes Circ/Cat and Web Collection.  It averages around $491.58 =
per school.  Follett does give a discount for District certification and =
the single P.O.
2.My tech support for Follett is $480 per year.
3.My school library uses Follett Automation and the annual cost is about =
$750. I don't have the exact breakdown with me but I think it's Circ/Cat =
=3D $500 and about $250 for the Web cataloging.
4.I recently received the quote for our District's Follett Software Tech =
Support for next year. With a 10% multi-site discount, it comes to =
$6,570 for 17 school sites and the District LMC. Each school's cost =
depends on whether it is a single-user or multi-user (networked). A =
typical multi-user site is charged $432 per year--for Circulation+
and Catalog+ combined.=20
5. Follett - $480 for both circ & cat, multi-user. Textlink - $299
6. My tech support for Follett Circ/Catalog programs costs $240.00 per =
program, which brings us to a grand total of $480.00 per year.  I also =
pay $250.00 for Alliance Plus online cataloging program in addition to =
that.=20
7. The Circulation Plus & Catalog Plus is current through June 16, 2004. =
A renewal quote will be forwarded by mail to the library wiith renewal =
costs which will be $480.00 for 12 months. Alliance Plus On line =
subscription
is current through July 8, 2004,  also a renewal quote will be mail to =
the library and that will for for $289.00.
8. Tech support for Follett is approximately the same as Sagebrush =
(maybe even a bit more, I'm not at school so
don't have access to exact figures--my memory says $245 per module, =
cataloging and circulation, plus about $150 for Web Collection Plus--we =
also pay for online MARC record access from Follett).=20
9. My school uses Follett, and the annual cost of tech support is $240 =
for  Catalog Plus, and $240 for Circulation Plus for a total of $480 per =
=20
year.

Alexandria
1.I was at a school for the past 6 years that used Alexandria. Yearly =
support cost $599, which included periodic version upgrades, email and =
phone support, and covered both the network and web versions that I was =
running.
2. We use Alexandria, a program offered by COMPanion Corporation.  We're =
running on Macintosh platforms,but I think the cost is the same for =
PC's.  Our maintenance cost is $499.00 annually for everything (we have =
a web
catalog and younger children's version of the research module, as well =
as the basic circulation and research software). That amount includes =
not only 24/7 (really!) tech support, but also all upgrades.=20

Spectrum
1. We use Spectrum also.  FYI.... we have a discounted fee for tech =
support ($395, I believe) because we are members of a large library =
cooperative.
2. As a member of a regional library cooperative, I pay $360. for =
Spectrum Circ/Cat support.
3. I have used two different Sagebrush products and $450 seems to be the =
standard charge for tech support for all their products. Back in 1995, =
tech support was $400.00.

Dynix
1. We have the old Dynix DOS and we pay $6000 per year for support. We =
are moving to Follett's Destiny and for all the modules we are getting =
and will use, we will pay $3000 for support and updates.

Unknown
1. We have a union catalog.  Support for our software is $13,000/yr.  =
This covers 18 sites and a centralized Instructional Materials Center =
(where we do all the processing-3 employees).  So I guess you could say =
that our tech support costs $620 per seat/site.

Elizabeth Hart
Library Technical Assistant
California School for the Blind
Fremont, CA 94536