On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Madeline L. Buchanan wrote:

> This morning in the newspaper there was a very interesting article about IE.
> It seems that security experts are advising web surfers to use alternate
> browsers such as Mozilla or Opera due to virus attacks which allow malicious
> codes to be hidden in popular web sites.  They warned of two problems - a
> technique that converts popular web sites into virus transmitters which
> allows the stealing of passwords.  Researchers also warned of a
> password-stealing program hidden behind pop-up ads.
>
> A major Windows XP upgrade that would stop some of the security problems in
> IE is supposed to come out later this summer.  Until then, I plan to use
> Mozilla.

We've had nothing but problems that can be traced back to inexperienced
kids and IE. Kids click anything that pops up. "You just won a zillion
dollars!" Cool. Click. The computers get trashed quickly with ad ware,
spy ware... and even some viruses inspite of virus software on the
network. We contantly need to re-mirror and run spy-busting software,
additional virus programs, etc.

We've been testing browsers this summer and we're going the way of
Mozilla... probably Firefox (it's worked well for us and does both
mac and pc) on our network. Hopefully this brings about some positive
changes.

J. Rathbun, Librarian
Mojave High School
Clark County School District
Las Vegas, Nevada
Email: jrathbun@orednet.org
http://ccsd.net/schools/mojave/library

Leave it to Beaver was not a documentary.