Thanks so much to everyone who emailed me with
suggestions of books that exemplify the literary
element of point of view. I'm sorry it has taken me so
long to post a hit; grad. school has kept me very busy
this summer.

Sincerely,
Shannon Parker
English teacher and library student
Fort Zumwalt West HS, O'Fallon, MO
shannon_parker_mo@yahoo.com

Here are the recommendations I received:
True Story of the 3 Little Pigs" by Jon Scieszka. From
the Amazon.com review:
"There has obviously been some kind of mistake,"
writes Alexander T. Wolf from the pig penitentiary
where he's doing time for his alleged crimes of 10
years ago. Here is the "real" story of the three
little
pigs whose houses are huffed and puffed to
smithereens... from the wolf's perspective. This poor,
much maligned wolf has gotten a bad rap. He just
happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time,
with a sneezy cold, innocently trying to borrow a cup
of sugar to make his granny a cake. Is it his fault
those ham dinners--rather, pigs—build such flimsy
homes? Sheesh.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At the library I just left (K-4 school) we had book
sets for several different reading strategies. I
entered each strategy as a curriculum search word, so
you can go to the OPAC, search on "point of view" and
click "all words" and get a list of what we have (not
that many I think).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To Kill a Mockingbird.  It's significant that the
story is told from Scout's point of view, because she
is seeing the world through a child's  innocent eyes.
That is where some of the humor of the story occurs,
as well as the more significant themes, such as when
she asks why the adults stand up when her father
leaves the courtroom.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We have a series of books called Steck-Vaughn Point of
View  Stories that have two versions of fairy tales as
a flip book (read one and then flip the book over to
read the other. They are used with our 6th graders and
would work probably from 4th and up. The titles we
have are:
Cinderella - That awful Cinderella.  / by Alvin
Granowsky ; illustrated by Barbara Kiwak.
Rip Van Winkle - Wake up, Rip Van Winkle! / written by
Washington Irving; retold by Dr. Alvin Granowsky
Robin Hood - The sheriff speaks. / retold by Alvin
Granowsky
Rumpelstiltskin - A deal is a deal!  / retold by Dr.
Alvin Granowsky;  illustrated by Linda Graves.
Snow White - The unfairest of them all.  / retold by
Dr. Alvin Granowsky; illustrated by Rhonda Childress
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My favorite to use is: "I am the dog/ I am the cat" by
Donald Hall (illus Barry Moser).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
See the professional book entitled Using Picture
Storybooks to Teach Literary Devices
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just off the top of my head I can think of:
Two Bad Ants by Van Allsburg
Diary of a Worm, by Cronin
The Very Smart Pea and the Princess-to-Be by Grey

I suggest you create an account with Follett and
search Titlewave under national  Curriculum standards
for point of view.  They have it divided up for 3-5
6-8 and 9-12 grade levels. Just click on Point of View
and then on the blue link for the standard and it will
give you a list of  book titles. Click More info on
the titles to get a little summary and/or reviews of
the book.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A terrific book for this  is Voices in the Park by
Anthony Browne It takes a mother and child and a
father and child who go to the park. Each tells their
story of the day and It is an eye opener for children.
You could use it K-6  or even higher because of the
lesson.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Three wonderful examples come to mind.
High school -- more mature reader -- junior/senior
Poisonwood Bible -- Kingsolver
Middle school --
Flipped -- Van Draanen
No More Dead Dogs -- Korman

Each of these three books are written from at least
two points of view
Poisonwood Bible is written from about 5 points of
view -- I think.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I love the picture book "My Big Dog" by Susan Stevens
Crummel & Janet Stevens (they're sisters).  The story
is told from the perspective of the cat...talking
about the new puppy that joins the family.  Great
illustrations, and very funny.
Picture books: Hey Little Ant (can't recall the
author) and Dear Mrs. LaRue: Letters from Dog
Obedience School by Mark Teague.

See HIT #2 for more titles.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail