Here is the second part of my hit on books that
exemplify the literary element of point of view,
including some titles that my group found.

Sincerely,
Shannon Parker
English teacher and library student
Fort Zumwalt West HS, O'Fallon, MO
shannon_parker_mo@yahoo.com

Part Two:

I recommend Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen.  It is
the same story told from two very funny and different
points of view.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First Part Last by Angela Johnson. very strong point
of view (winner of the Printz Award 2004)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If the Shoe Fits.  It is a series of poems told from
the point of view of various characters from
Cinderella. is
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I own a professional book that includes
recommendations of titles for point of view
instruction.  The book is Gibson, Karen A.  Crash,
Bang, Boom: Exploring Literary Devices through
Children's Literature. Titles
are:  Woodson, Jacqueline, The Other Side; Rogers,
Kenny and Don Schlitz, The Greatest; Howe, James, I
Wish I Were a Butterfly; Browne, Anthony, Voices in
the Park; and Banyai, Istvan, Zoom. I know and have
used The Other Side. This is a sophisticated picture
book about an African American girl and white girl who
are neighbors with a fence between their property. In
the summer, the African American girl sits on the
fence and wants to play with the other girl, but her
mother has told her not to talk to her. In beautiful
language, the issues are discussed and the girls end
up playing together. We used it on closed-circuit tv
for The Great American Read --Aloud in February. I
read the book and two teachers acted out the
conclusion. It was very moving and clearly delineated
the points of view. These books I think are mostly for
elementary students, even though I will buy The Other
Side when I move from 22 years in elementaries to a
middle school. Good luck with your project.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Burnford, Sheila.  The Incredible Journey [from the
viewpoint of three animals]
Dickinson, Peter.  A Bone From a Dry Sea [switches
from the viewpoint of a teenager who is part of an
anthropological expedition to a young girl from
prehistoric times]
Eckert, Allan.  Incident at Hawk's Hill.  [from the
viewpoint of a badger that saves a child stranded
during a thunderstorm in the Saskatchewan prairie -
based on a true story]
Fleishman, Paul.  Bull Run [told from the viewpoint of
a variety of characters that participated or who were
impacted by this Civil War battle]
Hesse, Karen.  Witness [told from the viewpoint of
eleven characters similar to Spoonriver Anthology.
Plot concerns a young black girl and a young Jewish
girl confronting the Klan in rural Vermont in the
1920's]
Hunt, Irene.  Across Five Aprils [from the viewpoint
of a young girl in Illinois through the Civil War
years]
Kerr, M. E.  Little, Little [from the viewpoint of a
dwarf]
London, Jack.  Call of the Wild [from the viewpoint of
the dog]
Meyer, Carolyn.  Gideon's People [from the viewpoint
of the son of a Jewish peddler and the son of an Amish
farmer]
Murphy, Robert.  The Golden Eagle [from the viewpoint
of an eagle]
Paulsen, Gary. Rifle [The story is told from the
viewpoint of the rifle.]
Zeiske, Wolfgang.  Esox: The Story of a Pike [from the
viewpoint of a fish]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here are the books my group found:
Crews, Donald. Truck. Follows the journey of a truck
from loading to unloading.

Nolen, Jerdine. Harvey Potter's Balloon Farm. A child
ventures out in the middle of the night to see how
Harvey Potter grows his wonderful balloons.

Yolen, Jane. Encounter. "Voyager books." A Taino
Indian boy on the island of San Salvador recounts the
landing of Columbus and his men in 1492.

Tolan, Stephanie S. Surviving the Applewhites.Jake, a
budding juvenile delinquent, is sent for home
schooling to the arty and eccentric Applewhite
family's Creative Academy, where he discovers talents
and interests he never knew he had. The chapters
alternate between Jake’s perspective and that of the
female character, E.D.

Bechard, Margaret. Hanging on to Max. When his
girlfriend decides to give their baby away,
seventeen-year-old Sam is determined to keep him and
raise him alone.

Flinn, Alex.Breathing Underwater. Sent to counseling
for hitting his girlfriend, Caitlin, and ordered to
keep a journal, sixteen-year-old Nick recounts his
relationship with Caitlin, examines his controlling
behavior and anger, and describes living with his
abusive father.

McCormick, Patricia. Cut. While confined to a mental
hospital, Callie slowly comes to understand some of
the reasons behind her self-injuring, and gradually
starts to get better. This novel has an unusual point
of view because it is in second person. It is written
as if Callie as the narrator is addressing the novel
to her therapist, using “you.”

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail