Hi Beverly and all....

Hope your holiday weekend and the continuation of the holiday today has
been star spangled!

I wish we could cross-stitch Beverly's words and put them over every
library door as well as at the entrance of every publishers' doors.
Leveling books does not take into account prior knowledge or interest in
the reader.  I've worked with struggling readers for years.  When the
reader has interest, she will find a way to comprehend the material.
I've seen kids read things that the level would have indicated was way
over their ability.  Many public libraries have leveled their books
according to Lexile or Fauntas and Pinnell.  Schools have given children
little notes to take home to their parents to tell them their chidlren's
levels.  Isn't that convenient?  We send children to a certain section
and a certain shelf and there they will find the books that are
appropriate for them!

I'm glad that books weren't leveled when I went to school.  I dutifully
read the basals in my class, and then took advantage of the library
(public and school)
offereings of which I could make choices!

Readingly yours,
Chris

Christine L. Evans, librarian
Library/Media Center
Barrington Middle School - Station
cevans@cusd220.lake.k12.il.us
847-381-0464
>>> Connie <cowilli@PACBELL.NET> 07/02/04 00:56 AM >>>
Beverly,
Personally I think that all lexile numbers are inappropriate. [Check to
see
the Lexile level of  East of Eden or Grapes of Wrath among others ] .
Lexiling a book means the Metametrics has used their high powered
computer
to count syllables- no content is taken into consideration. I'm not sure
why
you're doing this, but you need to let the teachers and parents know
that
this system is only a guideline for the complexity of the words and
sentences written in the book. Given that kids bring more to their
reading
than just decoding skills, I should hope that other considerations are
given
in guiding children in their reading choices. Don't let anyone [!] use
these
lexiles as ways to stop kids from choosing books they might like to
read.
Sorry for the rant, but Lexiles get me going....
Connie

--
Connie Williams
Library Media Teacher