Date:    Thu, 8 Jul 2004 07:30:37 -0400

From:    Jane Englert <englertj@CLIU.ORG>

Subject: <No subject given>

=20

Good morning everyone,

=20

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for "cleaning-up" a media
(predominately VHS tapes) database?

=20

Are there any standard catalog databases to compare this type of data
with?

=20

What are standard fields for this type of record and how are they
cataloged?  Is Dewey used?

=20

I tried Library of Congress, but it appears that tapes don't have ISBN's
(unless I've missed something).

=20

Right now the tapes are shelved by barcode/accession number which is ok
since we don't have patrons in the stacks. =3D20

=20

But I have trouble visualizing or conceptualizing the collection (for
development purposes) because there is no over-arching organizational
structure to analyze.  The subject report must be 30 pages long. =3D20

=20

It is possible the collection was added piece by piece subjectively.

=20

=3D20

=20

To complicate things, I've been asked to work on a project where the
material data from the VHS catalog will be merged with content from
another online product available so the searcher can type in one search
term and see results from both. =3D20

=20

The online product has a bare bones subject structure. =3D20

=20

The thought is to pitch all the current subject content in the VHS tape
catalog and just pare it down to 15 or so general "categories".  As a
librarian, my instinct is telling me that would limit results.  People
search with keywords, but you'd still want to keep as much language as
possible.

=20

Am I off-base?

=20

=3D20

=20

Any suggestions or points in the right direction would be most
appreciated.

=20

Thanks,

=20

Jane

=20

Jane M. Englert

Educational Resources Coordinator

Educational Technologies Department

Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit #21

4750 Orchard Road

Schnecksville, PA  18078-2597

=20

610.769.4111

800.223.4821

610.769.1290 fax

=20

"Technology" in many ways, means "things invented since you were old
enough to know better."  After all, books are a product of technology,
although we rarely think that way."

=20

Janes, Joseph.  "Parting Thoughts on the Brave New World."  VOYA.  Feb.
04.

=20