Mel Glenn!  Author of several novels such as Split Image, Jump Ball, Who
Killed Mr. Chippendale, The Taking of Room 114, etc., Mel is a great speaker
who was once a high school English teacher in Brooklyn (for 32
years)---still living in Brooklyn.

I hosted Mel two years ago at our school and he was so wonderful!  He worked
with the teachers and the students (both during his presentations AND in
their classrooms) and talked about how he writes, why he writes what he
does, and where he gets his ideas.  His form of prose-style created the
formats that are being used today by many authors---Mel was one of the first
YA authors to use prose format to capture the attention of the reluctant
reader while incorporating the elements of poetry into their reading (an
English teacher's delight---but then, he's an English teacher himself!)

The most engaging thing about Mel is that he can carry on a conversation
with just about anyone and about anything---the boys were interested in
sports (he talked sports and players) and the girls were interested in
reality television / American Idol (he talked about the latest contestants
and who he believed would win!).  My administration talked about New
York--our HS principal was from Brooklyn also, so you can imagine---and our
middle school principal loved his ability to critique writing styles (and
even sent him copies of his OWN works for Mel to read!)

I believe he was reasonably priced for us.  He gave four or five regular
presentations and then spent time in the classroom---the former teacher just
can't give up the teaching aspects!  We flew him in to Texas, he spent three
days, we covered hotel, travel, speaking, and meals....all of which was
money well spent!  (I'm planning to have him back next year!!)

I'd highly recommend him!  Tell him "Shonda" sent you and he'll be sure to
put you on his calendar  (after he finishes laughing...he thinks I'm his
booking agent sometimes because I'm SO sold on his work with young
adults---he's personable and the kids feel that they can relate to him
because he talks "their talk!)

Hope this helps!

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian