My dad says "He that tooteth not his own horn, the same shall not be heard."  So,
I've learned to toot my own horn, even though it certainly isn't natural for me.
    Two of the best toots I have (sorry, couldn't help it) is to get up in front of
the new teachers each year before school starts.  Ask around; you'll find out that
the new teachers have an orientation before school starts; get on the program.  Ask
for at least 10 minutes, and then sell your PARTNERSHIP with the teachers. Everyone
will love it.  I've worked up to an hour presentation that my administrators love
me for, and my new teachers rave about each year.
    The second thing ties right in with your Reading Counts (or AR) program.  When
I process new books I make a scan of every cover. If the budget is tight I switch
to photocopies.  I've made little, business-card size labels that say "NEW IN THE
LIBRARY This was bought with your curriculum in mind."  Then I staple a label on
the scanned copies of the cover or the photocopies, and I put the copies in the
appropriate teachers' boxes.  I've learned that only one copy of each item is
necessary.  Not every teacher has to know about every book that fits his or her
curriculum that is coming into the library.  If the book is good for American
History, then one teacher gets the scan of the cover this time.  The next American
History cover scan will go to another history teacher. As long as every teacher is
getting some copies every now and then, the teachers stay aware that new stuff is
coming into the library all the time for their curriculum.  It doesn't have to be
exact, but it su
 re keeps the library and its purpose on peoples' minds. New books, videos, DVDs,
tapes come, copies to the covers are made, divided out to faculty who might care
about the item, and then the copies are dropped into the boxes with the little
notes attached to them.  Over the years I've been doing this I've learned that
teachers pass the scans around their classroom, tack them to bulletin boards, and
wave them in front of classes.  Each new item scan is an ambassador for the whole
library program.
    Oh, about nobody knowing what your doing in Reading Counts:  be sure that every
book that matches an RC test has a tag in the MARC record so that your students and
teachers can find the books with Keyword searches.  Then move heaven and earth to
get your catalog on the Internet, if it isn't already.