Diane Lungaro <dianelu@YAHOO.COM> writes:
>Hi,
>
>I have a teacher who would like to purchase 6 or 7 novels for his class
>to read as a group.  While this is an 8th grade class, the students
>reading level is more like a 4-5th level.  Interest level is ongrade.
>
>Please send any fiction titles you could recommend for this purpose.
>
>Thanks,
>Diane

Is there anything more you could tell us about the class?  Is this an
English class or a combo class for slower learners?  Are there any
curriculum tie-ins the teacher could use?  What kind of male/female ratio
is there?  Has the class been asked for title suggestions or feedback on
favorite read-alouds from elementary school?

Where the Red Fern Grows is my personal favorite.  Snow Treasure would be
a good winter story and the protagonists are the right age.  Dealing with
Dragons is a fun take on fairy tales and some students could be motivated
to read other books in the series, but it might be a bit of a reach.
Depends upon the kids and motivation.  Phyllis Reynolds Naylor's series
beginning with The Boys Start the War.  Storm Warriors is an excellent
tale of a boy who wants to become a member of a surf rescue team.  Finding
Buck McHenry would be a good spring read with a baseball theme that
integrates a bit of history about race relations and the Negro Leagues.

Bob Koreis
Librarian
Federal Way High School
Federal Way, WA