My original request:

I teach up to 9 gr 1-6 classes a day (fixed schedule, teacher prep
coverage) in two year-round schools. I also have inventory to do. Do
you have activities that are valuable (information literacy/library
skills) for the students and that they can accomplish with a minimum
of LMT input?

~~~
I am compiling a list as the suggestions come in. In the meantime,
there are a couple of activities I am doing now that have some time I
can do my thing, but most of my classes will be finished with them
soon.

*First grade: "My Dictionary" (some intensive LMT time, some kid work time)
    -each child gets a composition book and labels pages with the
letters of the alphabet
    -LMT writes the alphabet on the board
    -have students suggest one word for each letter of the alphabet
(not in order)
    -ask students what letter the word starts with
    -turn to that page
    -write the word on the board as students write on correct page in book
    -check off each letter on board alphabet to keep track
    -have students choose which words would best be defined with
illustrations (one picture is worth a thousand words)
    -provide dictionaries so students can find pictures if they need
something to look at for own drawings (have previously worked with
finding words and pictures in dictionary)
    -students draw pictures
    -students look up words and discuss in groups simplified
definitions for words without pictures (too many definitions make
frustration and boredom)
    -first few: table groups report definitions to class, choose best
and write down, then have groups work on their own to complete
    -give students the books to add their own words outside of library
time, having dictionaries available if they need them

*Gr 4-6 Encyclopedia People Hunt
    -Make list of people found in sets of encyclopedias available
     =choose one or two upper grade classes for this part
     =distribute encyclopedias (3 sets work well) and give
instructions to list people who are the subjects of articles
     =set limits per encyclopedia
     =choose names reported and make a good sized list in a table with
a column of names and a column for each encyclopedia set--run off
enough for everyone
    -Divide class into groups (tables), each a team, one table handout
per person
     =instruct that team should find one main citation for each name
and write volume number and page in the correct column (only one
citation per subject, not necessary to find in all available
encyclopedias)
     =share answers within teams (only with those participating)
     =LMT make key while students are searching, make a point of
finding the index at their tables and borrowing it -- don't give away
the fact that this is the best book to have for this assignment, let
them discover it
     =staple all papers together (all should be the same in a team)
exchange stacks with other teams to correct with red pen, use key.
     =give to classroom teacher

--
Barbara Adams Currier
K-6 Library Media Teacher