I posted this request about six weeks ago, and want to
thank all those who gave suggestions, as well as post
some of those ideas.

We found a cherry wood baton case, and had a plaque
engraved “To H, from the Class of 2004”.  My son (drum
major and an intern to Mr. H in the intermediate
school) snuck in to his desk to measure his good baton
so we knew it would fit.  Mr. H was very pleased.  The
other seniors wanted to go in with him, so we paid for
the engraved plaque and a canvas bag that protects the
wooden box when traveling.

Thanks again for the many suggestions.  Although we
didn’t use them exactly, they got our “juices going”
as someone said.
 Suggestions included:

A gift certificate to a music store, or a place that
sells music CDs.

If at school, it probably should be something like a
personalized notebook or desk set with a music theme.
If at home it could be related to his outside
interests, or a movie (Sound of Music or Music Man
come to mind).

He might like an engraved baton. I’ll bet you can find
a place that sells them and also does the engraving if
you search in Google.

Another family had a formal portrait done of the three

kids who went through my program each holding their
instruments.

Best Buy Gift Certificate
Season Tickets to the Symphony
Travel gift Certificate
Restaurant gift certificate

You could also donate a special book to the library in
his honor!

As a former band director, might I suggest a years
subscription to the "Instrumentalist".   It is a
monthly magazine that is very much "the bible" in
terms of new information.  If he does not take it at
school presently, he might enjoy it.

Conducting batons are available from basic cheapos up
through hundreds of dollars for exotic and or precious
materials.

(For a composer)..pretty expensive customed engraved
or decorated pens and pencils…

…his favorite gifts are gift certificates, either for
special restaurants, to music stores, or best of all
for tickets to the nearest quality music performance
venues. My husband has also appreciated personalized
gifts such as a shirt or hat signed or decorated by a
student or students, framed pictures of a performance
or with a particular student, etc.

I bought my high school director an acrylic clipboard
with his name engraved in it.

Could they make up an arrangement of some song and
play it on tape or record to a CD?

I would suggest a very special baton, perhaps of ebony
with a cool faux-ivory handle (for use at concerts
only).

Or. . . in another vein, a picture of your student
with the band director.

And have your student promise his/her band director
that he will continue to play - in church, in
community band etc. for the rest of his/her life.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

Barb Strack
Orchard View M. S.
Muskegon, MI
momstrack@yahoo.com