Hi ...

You might be interested in article in today's Sacramento Bee, about the
"Raising a Reader" early reading program and its arrival in
Sacramento.  Terris McMahan Grimes, instrumental in bringing the program to
the Sacramento area, and mentioned prominently in the article, is a friend
of mine, who gave me a heads-up that the article was coming and shared her
enthusiasm for the program.

Link to article:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/education/story/9518816p-10442639c.html
.  It begins:

>For the 18 children in teacher Luz Ceja's preschool class, a small red
>nylon book bag holds a surprising amount of joy - and a seemingly
>bottomless well of promise.
>Each week, the students enrolled in Parkway Elementary's Head Start class
>eagerly receive a new red bag filled with four carefully chosen books. The
>children take the books home, read them with their families, bring them
>back to school, and pass the bag along to the next student. The rotation
>will continue until each student has read more than 70 books free of charge.
>"I love the books that the teacher lends me, and I am learning a lot,"
>said Edgar Aguirre, a chatty 4-year-old partial to the book "Five Little
>Ducklings."

There is also a related article, "Parents encouraged to use libraries,"
http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/education/story/9518817p-10442637c.html .

The "Raising a Reader" program may be old news to many LM_NET members, but
if not, it may be worth learning about.

Ken

Kenneth W. Umbach, Ph.D.
Research-Writing-Editing-Consulting