This week's episode of Faking It (June 6th 10 P.m. ET on TLC)will featire a
Texas librarian trying to fake it as a bartender at Coyote Ugly. The
description of her is stereotypical - shy, bookish, etc. I know the
producers were looking for a stereotype because I had applied to be on the
show and they called me to send in an audition tape but being untenured I
didn't think my administrators would be keen on giving me four weeks off in
the middle of the school year. I had said specifically I was only available
in the summer months and the producer said she had called several school
librarians and was getting the same answer (duh!). I will watch with a heavy
heart as I really wanted to do this but I hope they don't go overboard with
the librarian stereotype - I know the woman wears glasses (hey, it's a
professional hazard!), at least they didn't have her put her hair up in a
bun!

I had to respond to this as I am a school librarian AND a
bartender/waitress! I need the extra income to make ends meet (I make way
more as a waitress). I wear my long hair down at school and remove my
glasses in order to see the computer screen. I wear my hair up and keep my
glasses on at the bar so I don't get hair in anything and I can see what's
going on. It's not as odd as all that and I'm kind of insulted by the
program premise. At the bar I do ready reference, book recommendations as
well as lead some impromptu book discussions with some of my regulars who
share my love of reading. They all say they would have read more in school
if they had had a librarian like me.

Marybeth Varney
Librarian/Bartender
Opal Myrick School