At 5:39 AM -0700 6/3/04, Barbara Currier wrote:
>My original request:
>
>I teach up to 9 gr 1-6 classes a day (fixed schedule, teacher prep
>coverage) in two year-round schools. I also have inventory to do. Do
>you have activities that are valuable (information literacy/library
>skills) for the students and that they can accomplish with a minimum
>of LMT input?

I've gotten a few more great suggestions, thank you! I've also gotten
a lot of requests for another posted HIT, so there must be a quite a
few of us out there with this need.

I can't buy any videos and I try to save the few we have (district
buys us some once in a while) for the classroom teachers, but I am
going to go see what the county library has on the shelf today. For
the littler ones, I got a nice Beatrix Potter DVD from NetFlix that
I'll project from my powerbook. I already showed my classes parts of
a Dr. Seuss biography (with Cathy Najimi and lots of celebs like
Billy Crystal and Robin Williams) DVD during the Seussentenial. They
watched our Tomi de Paola video last year, with the additional bonus
of getting to see the butcher-paper drawings he did when he was
Modesto City Schools' artist in residence some years ago.

One person quoted below suggested games, which reminded me of
something I used to do with my math kids when we had time. I'd give
them physical problems to solve, like metal puzzles to remove a piece
from and put back together, or tie two kids together with string and
have them get themselves apart (one piece, each end tied around each
wrist of one child--not too loose or too tight--, another piece for
another child, first piece run through the other linking them), don't
allow them to break, untie, break or slip the loop off their wrists
(have another child be the official), give them enough string to get
really funny about getting apart. This string one, ask for a couple
of sets of volunteers and they will entertain the rest of the class.
Others will ask to do it, too. It is solvable, but don't tell or show
them the answer, tell them to keep the secret to themselves if they
figure it out, it'll drive their friends crazy. Cut them loose after
a while if they don't figure it out. Then, you can do it again next
year.

You can't solve these by blundering through, you have to think
logically and step it out, make a plan, applicable to information
literacy. This, I believe I shall save for the last week.  The hard
part will be remembering and finding things.

Barbara

******

Buy some Reading Rainbow videos for next year.  Also, if you use
Scholastic book fairs, the company puts out a video with authors and
featured books, and the kids enjoy seeing that in the spring as an intro
to summer reading.  Have the local children's librarian come in and
intro the summer reading program.  If you have enough computers to pair
students up and work on age appropriate programs such as number munchers
or Oregon Trail.
Cathy

~~~~~

I know this won't help this year, but in our district we close all
libraries during the last week of school--no book checkout, no
classes. This is when we do inventory and shut down the library. Any
chance your district could do that next year? I think it is really
asking too much for you to do inventory and still be responsible for
the classes. Perhaps if your administration knew that it is pretty
standard practice for libraries to close down for the last week,
maybe you could persuade them.
Marsha

~~~~~~~

       Didn't think to suggest this before, but we have also switched over to
doing an "in-progress" inventory.  Rather than letting it all go to the end
of the year, we begin our inventory in February, closing off small sections
of the stacks to do the inventory.  With automation, it's a breeze, since
the computer automatically inventories things that are checked out.  We have
a standard sequence we do the sections in, so that the inventories are
always done a year apart -- just not always at the end of the year.  We do
100-500 in February, 600 - 900 in March, etc.  This makes the year end
process much easier, and inventory much more manageable.  You might want to
give it some thought.  Good luck,

Linda L.

~~~~

almost forgot.  I got the parent who is in charge of chess club to
agree to come in during their library time and teach the older grades
chess in their library period.He is going to do it in the classroom,
hahaha, not here. Any such thing that can be done with any activity
and a parent volunteer?
Also any source of videos other than buying, such as public library?
If you use them for direct instruction , then you do not run afoul of
copyright, I think. Relate it to a book they have read,or something
to do with the curriculum, such as history or science.

Mary

~~~~~

I am in a similar situation - except have been instructed by the
'head-librarian' at our district resource center not to do inventory.
Our district has had almost continuous cutbacks in library for
several years now and there simply is not enough time to do an
inventory and continue with the prep classes. The principal has
simply said "do what you can." The aide (8 hours per week) & I (3
days per week) will shelf read (~12,500 volumes) & try to track down
missing items (though I would really prefer to do an inventory).

My plan for the last 2 weeks is to:
Work on art projects in the style of certain illustrators. So far the
students want to try Barbara Reid and Eric Carle.
I have purchased a number of videos to go with books - will read the
story then watch the video and have the students compare the two
(we've done Venn diagrams).
Most of my classes will be primary students (the older students are
not prep classes) & we have a stock of large-piece puzzles (40 to 100
pieces each) that the children love to work on.
We might also go outside & use sidewalk chalk to draw story pictures
on the paved part of the school yard (not in parking areas!).
Have students write advice letters to next years' students -ie.
stories or authors that they think a grade 3 student must read & what
they really need to learn in library.

Several of my grade 4 students have learned how to shelf read the
easy fiction section - so might put them to work doing that area; and
have them give book talks to each other. Charades are also a
possibility (I'll pre-print a selection of book titles for them to
use).

Hope that helps,
Diana

*********