I can speak a bit to 6th grade use at our school. I try to get an
orientation scheduled for every research project, 6th-8th grades). I =
focus
on resources available in the collection and to best resources from our
online encyclopedias and subscription databases. So even with the 'we
already heard it' comments, there is information focused on the needs =
for
that particular project. If pictures are required, I note which =
databases
have the better selections, and best ways to utilize them

With that orientation, comes a piece on citing sources, including =
pictures.
I provide worksheets for copying correct bits of info for citing and
examples of correct format and where links to LandMark Citation Machine =
and
Citation Maker from OSLIS are.  I usually get at least one 'we did a
bibliography for the last project, do we have to do one again?'

My other bit is a (way too) short piece on resource evaluation. For 6th =
tend to focus on authoritativeness and accuracy, with examples of 4th =
grade
reports being cited and a googled image of an earthworm that was run =
over
not really being a good example of a flatworm.

At this point (2nd year at this school), I've got most teachers =
requiring a
bib for most projects. Some teachers are requiring some minimum number =
of
cites from encyclopedias and books and databases, with balance from =
general
web.  One special success is the 6/7 science teacher who will only =
accept
pictures from our databases or encyclopedias or at least from site =
linked
from Nettrekker. While that does eliminate many zoos and museums, it =
helps
reinforce using quality sources and promotes some concepts on copyright. =
It
also helps prevent the need of explaining that Rose and Iris may not be
quite the rose and iris the searcher was expecting.

I have spinner racks full of the worksheets readily available, and page =
with
links to online and paper versions at
http://pac.egreen.wednet.edu/library/bibliography/bibliography.htm

Robert Eiffert, Librarian
Pacific Middle School
Beiffert at egreen wednet edu
Beiffert at Comcast net

Jana Roth queried:
I am interested in finding out how people handle using and citing images
with
elementary school kids. If they need images for projects, where do you =
get
them? Do you let them use Google images, do you select "free use" image
websites, something else? Do you let them use copyrighted (or =
potentially
copyrighted images) as long as they source them or do you only allow use =
of
images in the public domain/for educational use? Does your practice =
differ
if
they are producing a paper or a powerpoint vs a web page? Thanks in =
advance
for
your input!
=20