Hello school librarians, and our favorite Latin e. e. cummings fan, et al.,

like some on the list, I'm a little taken aback by the lack of skills
and etiquette... howsomever, I do understand their inexperience; we
were all there ourselves not too long ago...  8-) and in some cases,
"not too long ago" may be a little further back than others...  ;-)
* * *
my biggest gripe of all for all lists...
not removing the "stuff" at the bottom...
in a recent LM_NET digest, 15 of these directions are present...
* * *
I can understand the purpose of not trimming the message in order
to pass along the original intent... howsomever, the multiple
copies of the directions at the bottom (which we are becoming
quite aware few members actually read) are absolutely unnecessary
and can be trimmed off... especially since *every* message gets
a new tag appended upon transmission...
It happens on every list I'm on... people tend to overlook it,
because when the message ends, they stop reading... you'll get
two in this message... I inserted one deliberately...
* * *
Okay, my other biggest gripe of all {you know I'd have more than 1}
... misunderstandings...
oftentimes, I can tell that people just throw a message together
and hit the send button just to get it posted quickly - just begging
for misunderstandings and a torrent of further inquiring and
clarifying messages... one beauty of email is the ability to
sit and think deliberately before responding...
At other times, messages are plainly thoughtfully composed, edited,
and quite the example of good English grammar and structure only to
have people respond quite obtusely to the original intent - which
is always plainly evident if the entire message is read carefully -
perhaps skimming and scanning skills should become a part of the MLS
curriculum ... or maybe reading(?) ...  hahahahah... just kidding
about the reading part...
* * *
Example: On one of my video lists... I was amused by some subscribers
asking to be removed for a "while" during a trip or event that takes
them out of town...  I contributed that although I didn't want to
be completely removed from the list, I would appreciate the moderator
turning down the opacity (Alpha channel) of some subscribers to about 50%...
it included winks and smileys to no avail... I still had two old timers
attack me
for being a newbie Hitler for trying to change what has been a wonderful
resource... yada yada yada... you know the drill...

So, in spite of widespread high technology, the individual responsibility
to possess and to use the most fundamental skills effectively remains...
primarily, reading and comprehension... the very core of our existence...
* * *
At 01:21 AM 6/4/2004, you wrote:
>All LM_NET postings are protected by copyright law.
>To change your LM_NET status, e-mail to: listserv@listserv.syr.edu
>In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET  2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
>3) SET LM_NET MAIL  4) SET LM_NET DIGEST  * Allow for confirmation.
>LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
>Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://elann.biglist.com/el-announce/
>LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html

Aloha y'all ... Earl J.
US Army Special Operations Command
History Directorate
Fort Bragg, North Carolina
"Just an old Maui boy with a poor sense of direction...
working his way home - one state at a time -
currently working in the State of Confusion!"