IMHO -- children should not suffer for the sins of their parents.
The only reasonable answer is to "write the book off."  As a taxpayer
I would applaud your decision to keep the child coming to the library
with the fewest pangs of guilt as possible -- guilt that they are
neither responsible for or in control of.  In the circumstances as
described I would not even suggest that the child "work off" the
fine-- only because that makes the association of her/his situation
associated with the library.  The library should be his/her refuge
and help build responsibility but in this case the child can be as
responsible as any mature adult but because she/he is not an adult
the child has no control over the situation.

BTW -- most states who have a foster care situation will often
allocate funds to fund lost books etc. for children in foster care --
but work that through the foster parents it should not be the child's
problem.

My parents cared for a number of foster children and this is a
subject close to my heart.  They have enough turmoil in their lives
without "the system" adding to it.

With respect for all those educators who are just trying to do the
right thing -- for the individual and the public monies.  :>)
Sharron

At 8:00 AM -0400 6/24/04, Judith Finucane wrote:
>How do you all handle situations where you know the child is not able to =
>return book or pay? eg - put in a foster home and the book is at the biol. =
>parents, custody battles where the child cannot go back to get the book, =
>etc?  During the year I let the child "work it off" but at the end of the =
>year?
>
>Judy Finucane
>Librarian
>Griswold Elementary School
>Griswold, CT 06351
>jfinucan@griswold.k12.ct.us

Sharron L. McElmeel
McBookwords (a literacy organization)
http://www.mcelmeel.com/
Instructor - University of Wisconsin-Stout
http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/childrenslit

3000 N Center Point Rd
Cedar Rapids, IA 52411-9548

ph. (319) 393-2562