Thank you to all who responded.  Several people suggested I post what I received.
Hope I am doing this right.  Below are a few of the suggestions.

Christine Ciofolo
LMS student
Palmer School, LIU
Purchase, NY
ccwriter@optonline.net

We have many students who are brand-new to the country, even though they are 11-14,
so I have many books in Spanish that support the curriculum as well as Fiction. I
have also purchased as many books in Khmer as I could find because that's our other
major linguistic population. I feel it is important for them to have books
available to them in their native language so they build or don't lose that skill.
For the Khmer students, most of them cannot read the language but it supports them
culturally and sometimes they have family members that can read it (and all these
books are printed bilingually so everyone can enjoy the story).

Nina Jackson, LMT
Franklin Middle School (6-8 grade)
Long Beach, CA
njackson@lbusd.k12.ca.us

http://www.lbusd.k12.ca.us/franklin/library

Christine,
Hi! I don't know if this will help, but my county has invested in a program called
the Rosetta Stone.  I have not used the program to teach, but it is stored in the
library.  There are manuals and CD's.  We have a large population of English
Language Learners in my elementary school, so I do try to buy bilingual books
(especially early readers) and some totally Spanish books for the older kids.  The
kids seem to find them very useful and often, the non-English speakers will check
them out and then move into the English.
Hope this helps!---Shelley

  Hello, I asked for similar information a month or so ago. Didn't receive much
input except to get ABC books, so I did not post a hit. The most useful thing we
have bought is the Hello reader picture dictionary which is available from Follett
and Amazon. It costs $5.90 and the teachers like to have copies in their classrooms
for the students to use.  In terms of dual language books, most of our foreign
students are from Mongolia, and there is not much available at this time. One of
our teachers has emphasized to the parents that they should read and write with the
children in Mongolian at home. If nothing else, it is valuable for the children to
remain bilingual, and if the parents know little or no English, it is better for
them to work in the native language with the child. I also think books such as
Brown bear, brown bear and its sequels, I went walking, and any other repetitive
books with good pictures are valuable for learning English.

Mary Walter
Jamestown Elementary
sky3ler2003@yahoo.com