From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Robert Eiffert
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 11:05 AM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Pop-up problems

You are doing some of the right stuff! First, make sure to update the
Ad-Aware list (and if you're not on version 6,that would also be a good
thing)

Then add SpyBot (available at
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22262,00.asp or =
the developer's site http://security.kolla.de ) to the mix. That one also =
needs to be checked for updates periodically.

While both catch many of the same, each catches some that aren't on the
other's list. Run them before problems start manifesting themselves.

And pay or donate so developers can keep updates and better versions =
coming!

And, don't forget the power of the market! Send a note to site with = policy
of objectionable popups. Let them know you'll be taking your mouse to =
other sites. Mention the competitor's name.

AND- if a site suggests downloading something, do a bit of research on = the
name of the site and or software. If results talk about difficulty =
removing later, or malware, spyware, slowing down system, etc come up in =
comments, you'll need to make some decisions.

Also, review your (and family's) browsing habits. My bet is that there
really aren't many 'to die for' sites. If your favorite news site starts
popping out junk, there is probably another site that can meet your = needs.
NOAA.gov links right to your local area weather (and where do you think
WeatherU gets their info anyway?)=20

A somewhat more radical step is to stop using Internet Exploder and = switch
to Mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org/) or FireFox. Both have built in = pop-up
stoppers that are more effective and trainable than the Google bar. They
have some other neat features like tabbed window (instead of multiple
windows, multiple sites are tabbed like the bottom of excel.), and lower
memory needs (boots faster, renders pages faster). And last, but =
definitely not least, more secure and less exploited than IE. One really
trick = feature is the Google button download. Just highlight search terms
in browser, = hit google and results come up.

Robert Eiffert, Librarian
Pacific Middle School
Beiffert at egreen wednet edu
Beiffert at Comcast net

Madeline L. Buchanan wrote:
I use the pop-up blocker in Google to block pop-ups and up until a week =
ago it worked well.  Now when I access certain sites such as Weather
Underground, I get a big pop-up advertising Net Zero where until then it =
was just a small advertisement above the weather information.  The same =
thing is becoming true about other sites except that I am getting other
advertisements.

I have run Ad-Aware almost daily to get rid of these and each time it =
seems that spyware is increasing daily.  Does anyone have an idea as to what
= is going on?  I have tried a freeware pop-up blocker and it caused other
problems on my computer.=20

---

To change your LM_NET status, e-mail to: listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the
message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET  2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL