In responce to my question on using standard lists in the library, I
recieved these two responces-thank you so much for your input.

Susan O'Neal
LMIT Student, NSU
Tahlequah, OK
catmafia@direcway.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I no longer purchase them.  Years of experience allows me to make most of
my weeding decisions based on curriculum etc. and I do selection by
reviews.  They are useful as you begin your career, or to refer to when you
want to beef up a certain area.  However, there are free collection mapping
tools that will also assist with this, and some even do give suggested
titles (not that I would ever trust those lists entirely since they are
vendor specific.  One of the issues with things such as the Wilson lists is
that by the time materials are included in them, they are already a year or
more old.  They may be out of print, or there may be something newer and
better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard Lists are, for me, only a hint - they are never a buying list. I
have worked on many ALA committees to produce some of these lists and am
well aware of the amount of time put in to produce them. However, they are
the lists for a committee with some outside input- reviews, people, etc. I
usually use them as my reading list and then read anything on the list of
which I am unaware. I am currently on Popular Paperbacks for YA Committee
for ALA and there are several titles already nominated that I would not
consider adding to my collection - even if they make the list. I tend to
base everything on student needs, curriculum, current collection, my opinion
after reading it, students' opinions, and, finally budget.