 Thank you to everyone who took the time to tell me what they do with the
books. I have listed the responses below.

    Eleanor Jordan, Librarian
    John F. Kennedy School K-4
    South Plainfield, NJ 07080
    ejordan76@msn.com

    I distribute them to the classrooms. Unfortunately, we only receive 3
copies and we have 4 classes at each grade level, so I rotate who gets
them.

   I slap a barcode on them and keep them in the library.  Last year I had
small
discussion groups of interested students during the second half of their
lunch.  We discussed the books they read and they used the website for the
club in
the media center.  When I finish our webpage, I'll link to the Club so they
can use it at home, too.

   Previously I had just cataloged them and put them
out on the shelves. However a couple of days ago we got a letter from the
DOE
asking for teachers' e-mail addresses to send them information about the
book
club. This is being done as a pilot program in Monmouth and Mercer counties.
So
I went online, found the titles of all the books, pulled them off the
shelves
and added a label to the front of each indicating that it is a GBC book.
Then I
added a GOVERNOR MCGREEVEY'S BOOKCLUB subject field to each of the books in
our
automated system. That way if someone wants to find one they can use the
Winnebago system or just go to the tubs where we keep the primary
paperbacks

   We catalog them and keep the ones for the current school year on a
special display in the library.  We also pull the copies that were already
in our collection and place them on the display.  We put a sticker on them
indicating that they are Governor's Book Club Selections with the month and
year

   When I receive the Governor McGreevey Book club selections, I catalog
them and add them to the general collection, with the notation in MARC
records that they are a "Governor McGreevey Book Club selection, March 2004,
or whatever month it is.  I don't advertise them with the staff, or present
the selections with classes coming into the library.  I just gratefully
accept the delivery and add them to our collection.

   I've wondered about this also... here's what I do and I'm not too happy
with it.  My school has 4 classes for each grade so I don't give the books
to the teachers, but catalog them and keep them in the library.  The
cataloging I do is very minimal, basically just title, author, publishing
info.  Then I try to promote the books with the kids during the month and
have them circulate.  I keep them in plastic baskets by grade level rather
than on the shelves.  Now there are quite a few accumulating and I almost
wish I had never started keeping them in the library, but I also hesitate to
stop what I've begun.  Sometimes I develop a lesson around the selection and
usually include a brief look at the website too (we have only one computer
in the library, so all gather 'round as I demonstrate).  I've found the
teachers have almost no interest in the books, the website, the on-line
activities, etc. Most of my students don't have much of an interest in the
games, activities, etc from the website, which I've tried hard to promote,
but many like the books and the excitement of getting them each month from
"our Governor".  I have a big photo of McGreevey I got off the internet on a
bulletin board and a banner I made with the website url listed.  Each month
I make a small sign with each book cover which also goes on the bulletin
board.  The kids like looking at all the book covers and pointing to the
ones they've read.

   I keep one copy in the library and distribute the other two to the
classrooms.  This works out well for us since we have only two of each
grade

    I am in 2 schools and it's handled differently in both.  In one school,
the principal gives me the box and I distribute a copy to each grade level
(we have 2 at each grade level) and then I catalog the 1 copy of each
grade level for the library.  At the other school, the teachers take the
books and are supposed to give them to me when they are finished with
them, but a lot of times I never get any copies.  They usually read them
to their class and give an extra one or two to students to share taking
home.  Hope this helps

   I keep them in the library and catalog them.  Last year I made a display,
but that was useless.

   We catalog the books and keep them in a Princeton File on a cart by
month. At the end of last year we gave the books to various teachers in
the appropriate grade level.
I introduce the book club and keep the site bookmarked at the student
use computers in the LMC. It is a great place for students to have some
fun and learn something about books. We have teachers who read the books
to their classes each month and parents who request the books to share
with their children.

   Last year I was working in a K-5 library.  Each month we received 3 ???
copies (if I recall correctly) of each of the K-3 book choices. I would
display them for our teachers and they would help themselves.  Then they
would share the book with their class and either add it to their classroom
library or return it so that another teacher could use it.  I did not add
them to our OPAC or our collection

   I put a copy in the box of each teacher. They send three copies of each
level
and I have three classes at each level.

    I keep one copy for the library (often I already own a copy) and then
distribute the remainder to teachers (the ones I like and who work with the
library)

    I am in two different schools.  In both my schools my principals give me
the books.  I read them with the classes and do an activity.  Then they are
cataloged and placed in the library for the children to borrow.  Another
librarian, in my district, never sees the books.  Her principal gives them
to the classroom teachers.  In one of our schools, there are 4 classes per
grade, the classroom get the books and the school buys one more for the
fourth teacher.  Go figure.   My problem with giving them to the classroom
teachers is that when teachers move grades or are transferred to other
schools in the district those books travel with the teacher-never to be seen
again.  If the books are in the library, I know that every class will hear
the book.  If the teachers get the book, I don't know what they do.

   My school is in an Abbott District.  I give them to the reading
facilitator
in my school who in turn gives them to the classroom teachers.  There is a
list.  We also let students read other titles in the series (ie Horrible
Harry etc. and accept that as there are not enough books to go around each
month.  They do a mini report, the kdg. draws a picture, first, second, and
third grade do a summary.  There are criteria.  We have a chart in the
hallway where we post who has read what book.  If the summary is acceptable,
we get coupons from Old Country Buffet and we give that to the student.

    I am a librarian at a K-3 school and for the past year, I have been
using
the Governor's Book Club in conjunction with a program that I do called
Librarian's Lunch Bunch.  We get 3 books for each grade level each month.  I
order 5 more from Scholastic so that I have one for each grade level
classroom (We have 7 classes per grade level) and an extra one for the
library.  Each month, 1 child from each class is chosen to be in the
program.  Choices are made with teacher input:  kids who could use the extra
attention, kids who can't get enough of reading, kids who need a little
motivation, etc.  The children are in the program for 2 meetings.  The first
time the children come down to the library during their lunch, I check the
book out to them (with a temporary barcode), I introduce the book, we check
out the Gov's website, and of course, eat lunch together.  Then the children
get about a week to read the book and share it with their families.  They
then come back to the library for lunch where we discuss our opinions of the
book and then do either a craft project or a cooking project having to do
with the book.  For example, last month we made tornados in a bottle to go
with "Twisters on Tuesday", and paper cows (for "Click Clack Moo") and
sharks (for "Magic School Bus' The Great Shark Escape")  The kids love it!
I even have kids requesting to be in the program.  The parents love it too.
And of course, once the kids in the group have been turned on to one of the
books (they usually choose series books) they want to read more books in
that series or by the same author.  Also when the kids are finished with the
books, I donate them to their classroom libraries.  Then the teachers love
me!

   I give away books at monthly faculty meetings and also to students as
prizes for contests.