The original target was: What biographies do you recommend as being top =
quality for K-2?=20

=20

From someone who teaches children's Lit.:

  1.. Economy of storyline: famous women in picture books
  You Forgot Your Skirt, Amelia Bloomer! Shana Corey, illus by=20
  Chelsey McLaren, Scholastic 2000
  Emily, by Michael Bedard, illus by Barbara Cooney, 1992,=20
  Doubleday
  Amelia and Eleanor Go for a Ride, Pam Mu=F1oz Ryan, illus by=20
  Brian Selznick, Scholastic 1999.
  Girl Wonder: A Baseball Story in Nine Innings, by Deborah=20
  Hopkinson. Pictures by Terry Widener. Anne=20
  Schwartz/Atheneum/S&S. 2003. 40p.

  2. Economy of storyline; not-so-famous women and men in picture=20
  books
  Snowflake Bentley, by Jacqueline Briggs Martin, Illus by Mary=20
  Azarian, Houghton Mifflin, 1998.
  Don Brown, Rare Treasure: Mary Anning, Houghton Mifflin, 1999
  Uncommon Traveler: Mary Kingsley,  Houghton Mifflin 2000
  Across A Dark and Wild Sea, calligraphy by Deborah Nadel.=20
  Roaring Brook Press/Millbrook. 2002
  Mack Made Movies. Roaring Brook. 2003.

  3. Artists' lives in picture books
  My Name is Georgia, by Jeanette Winter, Silver Whistle/Harcourt,=20
  1998
  A Boy Named Giotto, by Paolo Guarnieri, illus by Bimba=20
  Landmann, transl. by Jonathan Galassi, 1999, FS&G
  Michelangelo, by Diane Stanley, HarperCollins 2000;=20
  HarperTrophy pbk 2003.
  First Painter, by Kathryn Lasky, illus by Rocco Baviera, 2000. DK=20
  Ink
  Uncle Andy's: A faabbbbulous visit with Andy Warhol, by James=20
  Warhola. GP Putnam's Sons/Penguin Putnam. 2003.

  4. Musicians' lives in picture books
  Mysterious Thelonius, by Chris Raschka, 1997, Orchard {O.P.?}
  Shake Rag: from the Life of Elvis Presley, by Amy Littlesugar, illus=20
  by Floyd Cooper, 1998, Philomel Penguin Putnam.
  Purple Mountain Majesties: Katharine Bates and "America the=20
  Beautiful" by Barbara Younger, illus by Stacey Schuett, Dutton,=20
  1998.
  M.T. Anderson. Handel, who knew what he liked, illus by Kevin=20
  Hawkes. Candlewick. 2001
   Strange Mr Satie , illus by Petra Mathers,  Viking 2003.

  7. Engaging formats
  Savion: My Life in Tap, by Savion Glover and Bruce Weber, 2000,=20
  Morrow. (NOT in pbk 8/5/03)
  Cool Melons - Turn to Frogs! The Life and Poems of Issa, by=20
  Matthew Gollub, illus by Kazuko G. Stone, 1998, Lee & Low
Buddy Books First Biographies (ABDO)
First Biographies (Pebble Books/Capstone)
      (There are a LOT of other Pebble Books that are great for 1 & 2)
Reading Power (sports figures) (PowerKids Press/Rosen Pub.)Salt in his =
shoes (written by Michael Jordon's mom)
Boss of the Plains (story of the Stetson hat)
Dinosaurs of Waterhouse Hawkins
=20

I just purchased the 20 book set of rookie biographies and my kids love
them.  I cant keep the books on the shelf.

=20

Pebble books are good for those to read on their own.  They are very =
simple
with limited information, but a beginning reader can read them.
I'm taking a biography class and these are the picture book we had to =
read.
Not all are classes s biographies
You forgot your skirt, Amelia Bloomer/Corey
Emily/ bedard
Ameilia and Eleanor go for a ride/Ryan
Girl Wonder/Hopkinson
Rare treasure: Mary Anning/Brown
Uncommon traveler: Mary Kingsley/Brown
Across a dark and wild sea/Brown
Mack made movies/Brown
My name is Georgia/Winter
A boy named Giotto/Guarnieri
Michelangelo/Stanley
First painter/Lasky
Uncle Andy's/Warhola
Mysterious Thelonius/Raschka OP but if you can get used buy it!
Shake Rag:from the life of Elvis Presley/Littlesugar
Handel who knew what he liked/Anderson
Purple Mountain majesties:Katharine Bates and America the Beautiful/ =
Younger

=20

I am at a 1-8 school and my kids love the Character Building series from
PowerKids press.  (Learning about honesty from Abraham Lincoln, Courage =
from
the life of Christopher Reeve, Work Ethic from the Life of Cal Ripken, =
Jr.)

=20

My kids liked the series that only had afew sentences per page like Rosa =
Parks by Lola Schaefer. But I know you are looking for something a bit =
different, I do like the new biography called George Washington:  Farmer =
Soldier President by Pamela Hill Nettleton.  You may want to try Rosalyn =
Schanzer's How Ben Franklin Stole the Lightning as well although it =
might be more for 2-3 graders.  good luck!

=20

Mary Anning and the Sea Dragon (Atkins)
The Dinosaurs of Waterhouse Hawkins (Kerley)
Lou Gehrig: The Luckiest Man (Adler)
Honest Abe (Kunhardt)--not crazy about the pictures but a short, =
succinct,
easily understood bio. about Lincoln
When Marian Sang (Ryan)

=20

the James Stevenson books

=20

I love the Annie Oakley biography by National Geographic.

=20

Martin's Big Words: The Life Story of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by =
Doreen Rappaport=20
The Heroine of the Titanic: a Tale Both True and Otherwise of the Life =
of Molly Brown by Joan W. Blos =20
Minty: a Story of Young Harriet Tubman by Alan Schroeder =20
A Storyteller's Story by Rafe Martin=20
Ella Fitzgerald: the Tale of a Vocal Virtuosa by Andrea Davis Pinkney =20
Beatrix Potter by Alexandra Wallner=20
St. Valentine by Robert Sabuda=20
Patrick: Patron Saint of Ireland by Tomie dePaola=20
Snowshoe Thompson by Nancy Smiler Levinson=20

Prince Henry the Navigator by Leonard Everett Fisher=20
The Market Square Dog by James Herriot =20
The Last Princess: the Story of Princess Ka'iulani of Hawai'i by Fay =
Stanley=20
Duke Ellington: the Piano Prince and His Orchestra by Andrea Davis =
Pinkney =20

The Dinosaurs of Waterhouse Hawkins: an Illuminating History of Mr. =
Waterhouse Hawkins by Barbara Kerley

Brave Harriet: the First Woman to Fly the English Channel by Marissa =
Moss =20
In Flight With David McPhail: a Creative Autobiography by David McPhail=20
One Giant Leap: the Story of Neil Armstrong by Don Brown=20
A Bookworm who Hatched by Verna Aardema =20
Michelangelo by Diane Stanley=20
The Man who Loved Books by Jean Fritz =20
Brother Francis and the Friendly Beasts by Margaret Hodges =20
Starry Messenger by Peter Sis=20

Searching for Laura Ingalls: a Reader's Journey by Kathryn Lasky and =
Meribah Knight=20
Talking to Faith Ringgold by Faith Ringgold, Linda Freeman & Nancy =
Roucher. =20
Bard of Avon: the Story of William Shakespeare by Diane Stanley and =
Peter Vennema

=20

Wilma Unlimited :the story of Wilma Rudolph by Kathleen Krull=20
America's Champion Swimmer: Gertrude Ederle by David Adler=20
My Great Aunt Arizona by Grace Houston (?=20

An autobiography:=20
Big Mama's  by Donald Crews

=20

We love Martin's Big Words and My Brother Martin (both MLK Jr.) and =
Aliki's Painted Memories/Spoken Words (title? two-sided book about her =
life in Greece and then in US). Denise Fleming's autobio., "Maker of =
Things, is good, too - in fact, that whole series is good (can't =
remember who publishes it, though
Mary Flanagan, Librarian
Chandler School
93 Chandler Street