Thanks so much to Mary, Susie, Teresa, Diane, Suzanne N., Amy, and Suzanne M. for
taking the time to share their ideas, suggestions and documents for TV Turn Off
Week.  I wil put all of them to good use!  Here are their comments...

We made a big deal of it the first year we participated.
At the conclusion one of the teachers had the parents write a brief note
about what happened at their house....made for interesting reading!
---------------------------

I have promoted this event for several years, starting when I was a science
teacher!  A simple thing that I have done often is to have the kids who participate
fill out a simple diary.  It must be on my computer at school.  It was one page,
front and back, and students filled out a little blurb on what they did each day
instead of watch TV.  It had suggestions on things to do instead, and a place for
parent signature each day and at the end of the week.  There were a few, brief
summary questions for the kids at the end of the week. I got many thank yous from
parents! (and some from kids)  One year the PTSA awarded kids who participated all
week a free paperback book.

I'll try to find the diary and send you one.  I used artwork from the official
site. I did purchase the teachers guide one year, and there are many great things
on their website.

We've done a variety of other things-family reading night, daily announcements,
etc.  My family participates-this will be about the 6th year we've done totally
without for at least that week.

-------------------------------
We put posters up around school, and discussed TV viewing in our classrooms and
when they came to the library. (I also put an old TV with fake cobwebs around it by
one of the main doors too.)

-------------------------------
For the past few years I have been running a tv turn off week, I am attaching the
article I send to every staff member.  I am also sending a handout promoting my
family night once a month.  If you have any questions on either of them just let me
know.

-------------------------------
One of my colleagues (Janie Van Oss, Tuscan School, Maplewood) has
developed  her school's TV Turnoff week , into an almost year long
event.  She was just mentioned in the recent NEA magazine (or was it
NJEA), that many of us get as NEA members.

The TV turnoff  runs from Sun - Thursday nights, and I believe includes
videos, computer games, etc - but not computer work for school.
Exceptions are made for in-school video watching - i.e. the entire
class is watching a film on Martin Luther King, etc, or important world
events.

She allows those participating children to borrow an extra library
book, above and beyond their grade level's limit .

She is out on leave right now, otherwise I'd pass along her email
address for you to contact her. Her school URL is www.somsd.k12.nj.us
-- on the left column under schools - click on TUSCAN.

-----------------------------
Unfortunately, this is vacation week for us so we don't have big plans.
Fortunately, our PTA has come thru big time and purchased a copy of Patricia
Polacco's "Aunt Chip and the Great Triple Creek Dam Affair" for each family (a
takeoff on the "One School One Book" thing). The plan is to send it home the
week before along with a student created list of things to do besides watch TV.

Check the New York Times New Jersey section today (3/15/04.)  A Maplewood Librarian
is doing something like that.

Laura Coburn, LMS
HB Brunner School
Scotch Plains, NJ