Having had experience in this area, may I suggest that you not be too hard
on yourself?  If someone quits their job due to "panic attacks" because
things are more stressful, then this is usually a sign that you are making a
significant impact that is upsetting for that person or creating an
environment of accountability---especially if the aides have been in the
library longer than any professional librarian.  When things become "more
stressful" in a library, it usually means that there is more work to be
done, more demands are being made, or more changes than normal are
occurring ---usually a new person is in the mix---that'd be you.  Those who
see this as a threat will either retreat (resign) or cause problems for the
"change-maker."  Stand strong.

The first thing that needs to be done is a review of the library assistant's
job description.  If there is none, then you will need to write one, have it
approved, and then present it to the library assistants.  If there is one,
then you'll need to make sure that each assistant has a copy and that each
one understands that they will be evaluated (either by the principal or by
you) during the year.  Make sure that they realize that you are serious
about this and that you expect them to follow the rules---your rules.  Have
policies and procedures written; make sure that they follow them; make them
available and above all, be profession about everything---that doesn't mean
you can't be friendly, just be firm.

Next, I would make sure to document any problems that might be happening
between you and your assistants.  Tiny problems are usually the beginnings
of serious problems---they just pile up and usually end up becoming the
"straw that broke the camel's back."  Sometimes there are small antagonistic
problems that build upon themselves creating a final breaking point which
appears to be a minor issue to many on the outside who do not see the
day-to-day working environment that the two of you must face with one
another.  However, it is often those intimate encounters between the two of
you that will cause your anger to boil over because no one else sees
anything wrong with your assistant's behavior.   Make sure that you approach
every issue and address it before it becomes overwhelmingly large (or builds
upon other issues that cause you serious problems).

If your remaining assistant has already been in trouble because of her
gossiping, then make sure that you document this information and remind her
the next time she begins to talk about things that she shouldn't be.  You
can be professionally tactful by suggesting that you two not discuss these
matters while at school or you can be rude and simply walk away---and later
document her behavior and your response to it.

If one principal appears to side with your assistant, don't be intimidated
by this.  Continue to speak to the principal about issues that relate to the
library in a professional manner, remind the principal of the problems that
have been encountered by previous librarians, and, if possible, relate any
of the issues that caused previous librarians to leave to the same issues
being presented to him / her now.  Sometimes it is difficult for those who
are friends with others to see that their inability to see the problems for
what they are continue to create difficult situations for newer employees---
i.e., a new librarian every other year indicates a serious problem either
with the school, the principal, the library assistant, or perhaps other
issues such as salaries, responsibilities, etc.  When you begin to eliminate
any problems such as the salary, responsibilities, and school environment,
then the things that are left are usually the problems--- the friendships of
the principal and the library assistant.  When administrators do not see
that their inability to be impartial toward those who cause the problems,
then they are the biggest problem to a working environment.  This may then
require you to present your case to a higher power--the school board.

Finally, continue to work toward making your library a student-teacher
friendly environment, despite your assistants' behaviors.  Gain support from
your teachers by working with them and their students on a continual basis.
If you are doing your job and helping them, they will find your professional
skills more worthwhile than those of your assistant(s) who want to create
turmoil.  If you feel completely frustrated with problems of the day, find
one or two individuals whom you can trust to help you work through some of
your problems; ask them for support in working around the issues that you
must face and ask them to help you with ideas of ways to work with the
assistant.

Sometimes having someone on your campus who will allow you to "blow off
steam" helps to keep you professionally balanced when you want to beat your
head against a wall.  Make sure that you know that this person will keep
your information to themselves and not share it with others---especially if
the individual has been there as long as the library assistant. (I have
often found that newer teachers who are not associated with the school--or
the community--often make some of the best professional buddies on campus
because they are also sometimes isolated.  These individuals are new and do
not have a "history" that they share with the assistant and can give you the
opportunity to think clearly.)  If you have no one who is new to share your
problems with, then find someone who might give you some insights into the
library assistant's behaviors in the past.  Sometimes knowing that
individuals' quirks can give you a better idea of "where they're coming
from" when it comes to issues that divide you at work.

Above all, be professional, document everything, stay focused on your goals
for the library, don't be too hard on yourself, create a network of
individuals to share your frustrations with, and don't allow someone else's
unprofessional behavior destroy the library programs that you can create for
your students.  If you continue to make the library's program and
instructional goals for students your ultimate goal, then the only thing
that you can be accused of doing is making a positive change for the
better....rather than assisting in the destruction of the program (which is
what these ladies appear to be doing).

Good luck and keep us posted on this one!

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX
sbrisco021@charter.net