My original question was about our Sony Mavica digital camera, one of the=

models
that use a floppy disk. The camera has developed a problem requiring us t=
turn the =

camera off and on again between each picture.

No one had a solution, but several reported the same problem. There were
several other =

suggestions which I quoted below.

I did find this web site  http://www.avrepair.com/mavica/   which gives a=
explanation
of what causes the problem, the disk drive has failed. Cost to fix is abo=
ut
$150.00,
cheaper than a new camera but not by a whole lot.

Best I can do is to give you advice about another problem that i have had=

with
my own Sony Mavica.  It got so that when we tried to open a disk with our=

photo
program - the first 3 or 4 pictures were "blank".  An icon would show us
 - but no picture when you clicked on the icon - and no thumbnail if you
had the computer set to show thumbnails.  For awhile - we just deleted
those photos.  We figured that for the first thing we wanted to
photograph, we had to take 3 or 4 photos of it in order to get 1 usuable
picture.  But then I discoverd by accident that if we simple transferred
all the photo files from the floppy  to the hard drive immediately,
instead of looking at them first from the floppy disk - then all the
photos were fine.  So - if that problem ever crops up for you - at least
you will know how to handle it.

I have 3 of the Sony Mavica's that use floppy disks. =

The only time the Disk Error comes on is if we have
the wrong size disk in.  It must be a 1.44 mg.  disk. =

We had some half size disks at one time for the kids
to use.  They don't work in these cameras.  The only
file errors I have is when the button is pushed over
to play to review the pictures.  It must be on still. =

Sometimes teachers change it and then come to me in a
panic because the camera does not work.  All in all,
they have been good, reliable cameras.  You are so
right---it is easier for teachers to have disks than
memory sticks etc.  I have even finally trained most
of them to print their own pictures!!  Our cameras are
5 years old now.  I still love them.

Deborah J. Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School
Wiesbaden Germany