Thanks for the responses. The orig query is below. It looks like the prudent
course of action is to review license or contact vendor for specific info.
From K-12, we subscribe to 5 different databases, so a single policy may not
fit.

1:At the college level I had many professors doing just this..one copy that
the students could then copy from. It, however, could only be used one year
and then they had to get permission from the author/publisher to use it
again the next. If this is only one time ( this year) there should be no
problem. i would make one folder for each country. Check it out to the class
(teacher). I know you will be sure to cite the work in the folder.

2: This isn't governed as much by copyright as it is by your license. You
are going to have to closely look at your license to see what your license
says re: copies.

3: What I have heard from the database guru at our state level is that it is
fine to make printouts of database articles for people who have access to
the database.

Orig query (hit)-
This is a question asked by a fellow librarian in our district and we would
like to tap the expertise of the list.

Adding to the info below. We have district license including home access for
Grolier encyclopedias.

I think there are several issues involved. There may be some alternatives
not mentioned below that could work.

The 'circulate' comment is more for tracking that what is copied is tracked
and taken care of, not adding to permanent circulation collection.

We are looking for  'right now, what is best' solutions as well as 'plan for
next year' solutions.

---Opinion requested---

My 3rd graders will be attending the cultural parade and they are working on
world cultures.  I do not have individual titles at that level for this. I
can print articles from New Book of Knowledge from Grolier Online.  We do
not have enough computers for four classes to access those articles and the
3rd graders cannot navigate there without help.  I would like to print
articles of each of the countries the students/classes need.  On an
individual basis it is okay to print them for each student to take with them
and read later.  That is a big waste of paper and ink when I could print
copies of the several countries they are interested in, put them in folders,
and circulate them.  I am thinking that might not be permissible under
copyright.  It may be considered a "reprint" and I would have to have
permission.

So, what say ye?  Is making a copy, barcoding it, and checking it out
permitted?  Could I make 4 copies?  Do you know who I could contact for
permission?

I'm holding the folders until I hear from y'all. I don't want to give a copy
to one teacher and have the others asking for one and have no good reason
why I can't do that.  If I can circulate even one copy, it would
help.   Thanx -- gg

Thanks,
Robert Eiffert, Librarian
Pacific Middle School