The content of most of these magazines, especially the ads and the
"shocking" cover stories,  as well as the duplication of my print magazines
that can be found through the full-text databases, are reasons why I'm
seriously considering dropping all of my print subscriptions for next year.

I have Teen People, GL, Seventeen, Sports Illustrated, Transworld SURF,
Transworld MOTOCROSS, and several other magazines that are either taken
(never checked out or returned) or abused from over-use.  Most of the ads
that I've seen have been questionable and my 5th graders flock to the
periodicals immediately when someone finds an article or picture that is
risqué  This causes some of our teachers to become hysterical.

My "scholarly" journals and more educational magazines (National Geographic,
Smithsonian, The Economist, Time, Newsweek, U.S. News and World Report) are
very seldom used by the students (but are checked out by teachers and often
never returned in a timely manner---as if anyone wanted them).  I have one
or two teachers who request specific magazines but only THEY read
them....which means that they don't want to subscribe to them at home.

Therefore, I am seriously considering reducing the paperwork and eliminating
the print magazines.  My kids are reading books, so getting them to read
isn't the issue.  They use the databases to locate most of the magazines
that they use for research....all but National Geographic and the
Texas-related magazines are found online.  (I do plan to continue
subscribing to in print those harder-to-find magazines--NG and the Texas
magazines--because we have a substantial collection for students to use
already.  In fact, we recently received the entire National Geographic
collection of magazines dating from 1888 to the present...bound....yes, we
had to take them...long story...they take up about 15 shelves!)

I know that most universities are eliminating any duplications of print
magazine subscriptions if the magazines / journals are already online, so
I'm wondering how long it will be before school libraries follow in this
trend--especially at the high school level.

We keep our back issues of magazines for only 3 years, so in-depth research
sometimes comes from the databases anyway.

Is anyone else doing this?  (Also, I've checked our accreditation standards
to see if eliminating these might cause a problem....we have no specific
guidelines "requiring" anything in our libraries---we're private and we're
accredited through the Independent Schools Association of the Southwest.
This fact alone bothers me....which is why I'm seriously considering and
weighing the options.)

Any ideas, comments, suggestions?

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian