  We made quite a showing at our school board meeting on Thursday night.
We packed the board room to the point that many had to go downstairs to
view from a remote feed. The board refused to have anyone stand or sit
in the aisles. We passed out flyers and book buttons for folks to wear.
We had 18 x 24" posters that made many good points about Teacher
Librarians. We signed up to speak. There were so many folks who signed
up to speak that they limited the number who could speak. Normally they
allot 30 minutes for open comments. 40 minutes was allotted. The board
president chose to have most music advocates speak. Each speaker was
allotted 3 minutes. The Teacher Librarians got three speakers on. The
husband of one of our group spoke, Annie Lokrantz spoke reading her
letter to the editor that had appeared in the Fresno Bee that very
morning, and a duo of Edison High School students spoke. The students
were the best! I was interviewed by our local CBS affiliate (Channel
47). My interview was reduced to a single sound bite wherein I had
stated that the district was treating us as if we were just frills to
education.
At 8:30 they called an end to open commentary and resumed their
evening's agenda. President Barr said that those who had not had an
opportunity to speak could speak at the end of the agenda (which would
have probably been at 11:00 pm or so) or we could speak at the April
14th board meeting. Many of us left with the idea that we would return
in April to speak. Our issue is not going to go away. I believe that the
board was stunned if not a bit scared by our showing. While the music
program got the lion's share of the speakers, the Teacher Librarians
were much more visible with our posters and signs. The board did pass
its resolution declaring April School Library Media Month. Karen
Tozlian, who is in charge of our IMC, accepted the
resolution/proclamation. She urged all board members to get out to the
school libraries to see all the good teaching happening there. We do not
have District Librarian. In my humble opinion, we have only begun our
fight. I believe that we will have future board meetings packed.

I have included the text of an article from Friday's Fresno Bee:

200 pack Fresno Unified meeting

Supporters of school music, library programs ask board to rethink cuts.

By Felicia Cousart Matlosz
The Fresno Bee

(Updated Friday, March 26, 2004, 7:22 AM)

Fresno Unified budget cuts were not on the trustees' agenda Thursday
night, but that didn't stop about 200 supporters of two targeted areas
-- elementary music and library media teachers -- from packing the board
chambers.

The school district faces a projected $30 million deficit in 2004-05.
But the figure could drop to $20 million if Gov. Schwarzenegger's
proposed budget, in which education fared better than other public
agencies, stays intact through the Legislature's review.

Fresno Unified trustees must adopt a budget by June 30. Uncertainty
hanging over the two programs, which were listed among nearly 20
potential cuts, made supporters show up to talk under "unscheduled oral
communications."

Before speakers took the podium, district officials announced they had
reached an agreement with the Fresno Teachers Association to rescind
about 80% of the layoff notices affecting employees in 167 certificated
jobs, which include teachers. District officials believe attrition,
retirements and increases in money for special programs will allow them
to make the move, even though the budget isn't set.

The move, however, is separate from saving programs in jeopardy, such as
elementary music.

Sherry Wood, president of the Fresno Teachers Association, explained
that dozens of people who got pink slips will be guaranteed jobs, but
not necessarily the jobs they currently work.

"Programs are not part of this," she said outside the session. "For us,
it was a win to give our members a job next year, as much as we possibly
could. We're going to continue to fight for quality public education,
and quality education includes elementary music and libraries."

Wood also said that 69 other teachers and 309 temporary teachers do not
have jobs in the 2004-05 school year.

District officials said state law forced them to notify certificated
employees by March 15. But they also recognized the turmoil that last
year's layoff process stirred up, not to mention the costs of hearings
for employees who met criteria to challenge notices.

Susan Bedi, district spokeswoman, said the ability to rescind dozens of
notices means those people will have jobs, "which helps relieve the
anxiety."

Thursday's speakers included 11-year-old Jaclyn Gallegos, one of several
students who played parts of musical pieces on their flutes for the
trustees.

The sixth-grader at Lawless School said music is her favorite subject
and helps her in other classes.

Supporters say music makes students aware of the arts and that studies
show it increases academic performance and students' interest in education.

Board President Patricia Barr said officials continue to work on the
district's $900 million budget but must know how much the state will give.

"Until we know we actually have the money in hand, we are tied at this
time," she said.

In another matter Thursday, the trustees held a study session with a
Fresno High School task force to hear the group's recommendations on
staffing. Creation of the committee stemmed from a Nov. 14 protest by
more than 500 Fresno High students upset over conditions that included
crowded classrooms.

The task force's recommendations include using a different formula to
estimate enrollment projections for an upcoming year and hiring six
substitute teachers for the first semester of a year. These steps should
ease crowded classrooms, help prevent students from dropping out and
allow teachers to give students more attention. Trustees will vote on
the suggestions April 14.

The committee next will discuss issues raised by Californians for
Justice, a statewide organization concerned about inequitable conditions
faced by minority and poor students. The group believes problems exist
districtwide, and its ideas include a hot line to report problems and a
survey of teachers and students to determine needs in textbooks, desks
and basic classroom supplies.

The reporter can be reached at

fmatlosz@fresnobee.com or 441-6428.

Jan Drenth