Jan Drenth wrote:

>   We made quite a showing at our school board meeting on Thursday night.
> We packed the board room to the point that many had to go downstairs to
> view from a remote feed. The board refused to have anyone stand or sit.......

An effort needs to be made to try and get some parents who understand what
libraries do, onto the school board (long-term solution).

Short-term solution - Continue to have SLM'S attend board meetings and speak,
even when there is no crisis. Continue trying to get articles in the
newspapers. Every study that supports libraries (Colorado, Pennsylvania, Alaska
Etc...) need to be blurbed to the newspapers.  Start a Library Newsletter that
constantly stresses the theme of how student improvement is affected by the
library (specific examples that feature actual students - Use Student Quotes).
Start up a "Parents of The Library" group to help with PR, fundraising, and
making contacts with board members, administrators, and other movers and
shakers.   Keep beating on the drum, and eventually someone will hear it!

Is this crisis in any other district in the nation? Can't we head-off future
problems for many districts by being proactive?

Dennis Hollingsead
Administrative Assistant to VP for Academic Administration
Andrews University
Berrien Springs, MI 49104
269-471-3404
Graduate Student
Minnesota State University, Mankato
hollings@andrews.edu

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't
read them."
Mark Twain