TO continue the conversation:

We were asked if this book should be in an elementary school. Interesting
that most of the comments I have read after my post that were in favor of
having this book were Middle Schools or High Schools.

Maybe you feel you have been taught in library school to stay away from
censoring. But no library school is going to tell you how to know what is
acceptable in the community you are working in. That comes from experience.
Those parents in that community write your paycheck each week.

Would you buy this book just because it is an elementary level book about
two gay princes?  That isn't sound practice.
Does the book have a wonderful review in SLJ?
Does the book fit into the schools' elementary level curriculum?
Does the school have a Objectionable Materials Policy in place, and was it
followed?

As I said before I can understand having books about all sorts of lifestyles
at the jr. high and high school level. However, I would not purchase this
book for my elementary school's collection. As some people mentioned it may
be a book to share with the guidance counselor, or kept in a professional
collection.

However, at my level, in my community, I would not be able to justify the
purchase of it. The teachers, administrators, and parents here would not
tolerate it.

Personally, I would be very uncomfortable if my 6 year old brought it home
as a library book.
There is a time and place for everything - but books about gay princes do
not belong in MY elementary school library.

Jumping off the soapbox, for the second time today,
Karen DeFrank
Bullock School
Glassboro, NJ
kdefrank@glassboro.k12.nj.us