Personally, I would also like to add that, as a parent, when a child
brings home a book that expresses something outside of your familial
experience or goes counter to your beliefs and ideals, it presents a
fabulous opportunity to talk about these things.  Some topics would
never come up otherwise.  It's great to have a chance to hear what your
kids think, and to impart whatever opinion you hold.

Professionally, I would strongly echo those who've said that you have
to have your policies in place.  If you've formalized you
collection policy and
reconsideration policy,
and know your reasons for including particular materials in your
collection, then you're covered.

I also want to echo what people have said about having materials that
reflect the members of your community.  I have worked in communities
that had both openly gay families and born-again Christian families,
interracial families and conservative families.  It seemed very
important to have stories that showed all kinds of families so that
kids could see themselves validated and also so that kids could see
that all of their classmates lived in legitimate families.  It's
important to try to understand other people!

Robin Shtulman
Librarian
Erving Elementary School
Erving, MA