Thank you all for the many interesting comments. This was a great
learning experience for me as I finish up my degree in library science!
It is impressive to find that most librarians out there are adhering to
the Library Bill of Rights and the ALA Code of Ethics. And I want to
thank some of you for a good laugh at the emails time-warped out of the
1950s.

MM Stewart
Teacher/Library Science Student
New Hanover High School
mmstewar@nhcs.k12.nc.us

>>> Julie-Olson -SGH <jolson@FWPS.ORG> 03/30/04 12:36AM >>>
This is a hot-button topic, I know. I have something I need to say and
I'm
working hard at saying it in the most respectful way I can. I am
speaking
from my heart. My objective is to bring perspective from another side
of
the issue. This is not a flame, although I believe some of what has
been
said today could be taken that way. It certainly felt that way to me.

After reading some of the disparaging things said on the list today
about
"promoting a lifestyle" by having books that reflect all sorts of
relationships, I am relieved I did not have children who went to
school
where these disapproving librarians work. They would never have had
the
chance to see their family reflected in the collection. How sad for
the
children of gay and lesbian families in those communities. And how sad
for
the community as a whole, for they lose in this bargain.

One person said that they wouldn't want their 6 year old bringing home
book about two princes in love. That person seems to have forgotten
"the
mantra" of the librarian -- one parent may choose to limit the reading
material of his or her child, but not that of my child or anyone
else's
child. That is indeed censorship, something we are ethically bound to
fight.

Our personal values sometimes interfere with our abilities to do our
jobs,
as with the librarian who is refusing to purchase gay and lesbian
materials for his secondary school. I went to that school. Okay, in
reality, I went to one just like it in a neighboring state. I left
there
as soon as possible to get away from the intolerance. Perhaps if we
had
librarians willing to provide materials for gay and lesbian youth,
they
might find a place in their communities rather than fleeing them.

One of my favorite sayings is that there is something in my library to
offend everyone, including me. If I haven't provided materials that
show
all sides of issues, I haven't done my job properly. So I include
books
with ideas to which I am diametrically opposed, even though it makes
me
terribly uncomfortable to have them in the collection.

To those of you afraid of facing challenges, I would give you courage
and
strength. I have faced a very nasty challenge. Things were said that
hurt
me. But I survived. I'm still here providing needed materials for
students
in my community. And I can face myself in the mirror every morning
knowing
that I did the best I could for ALL of my students, not just the ones
that
society finds acceptable.

This particular debate has been framed by the gay and lesbian issue,
but
it could apply to many others. Like the book about a child visiting
Father
in prison that someone described today. Or about families in
non-mainstream religions. I find myself thinking of that often
ridiculed
phrase from Rodney King: Can't we all just get along? I wish for a
world
where all people are free to be who they are without the intolerance
of
others.

Peace to you,
Julie

Julie Olson, Librarian
Saghalie Middle School
Federal Way, WA
253-945-5010
jolson@fwps.org

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived, if you're standing outside
the
fire." Jenny Yates and Garth Brooks