Dear Friends,

The good news is that our community passed a bond issue for a new middle
school facility.  Our current one has been in use continuous for nearly 80 years
(formerly a high school) complete with every structural and safety issue
problem known to man.  So keep this in mind as you respond with comments regarding
the following issue....

The architect has proposed that one wall of the media center be glass from
floor to ceiling as a strong architectural element to the school.  It will be
framed with gold colored industrial metal on the outside of the building.  When
you drive up to the school, the media center will be the first thing you see.
It is also going to be the focal point of the school from the inside as well.

I have real concerns about this design due to the fact that while the light
flooding into the center will be fabulous, we may also experience other
problems due to fading, heat, etc.  Also, how will we darken the facility for
presentations?

The wall of glass will face the southwest and will have a small overhang to
shade us from direct sun during the school day.

 Yes, we have the computer lab directly adjacent to the center, so I can step
in there to do Smart Board demonstrations, etc.  So, I don't have far to go
regarding demonstrations.

If anyone (either public library or school media center personnel) can
respond back to me regarding their own experiences with similar designs, I would be
most grateful.  We are still in the design and planning phase at this point
but the foundation work will begin this summer once school is out, so I need
your input very soon.   Thanks for your input.

Deborah Maehs, LMS
Kingfisher Middle School LMC
Kingfisher, OK  73750