Regarding the ABC special, I agree with M. Ellen Jay in that I was
disappointed that there was not more discussion about how to construct
assignments so as to preclude plagiarism. That was never mentioned.
There was a gee whiz tone to the show about all the technology and how
easy it makes cheating. I did learn some things from that though. I had
not given much thought to the capacities of graphing calculators, for
instance. I found the student comments disturbing also, but illuminating
as well. We need to know kids are making these justifications. They are
able to distance themselves from their acts, partly because of the
technology. This is a phenomenon we need to know about and address as
librarians. I think the program is a valid discussion starter for
parents, teachers, and students about the situations. It is certainly
not a comprehensive treatment. The lack of mentioning the need for
creative and challenging assignments was, in my opinion, the biggest
shortcoming. But it is still worth watching and if it gets some parents
and teachers to think, it does have value in that regard.--Mary Ann

--
"Try curiosity!"  Dorothy Parker