We, as in the state of Texas, just got through with state mandated TAKS
testing.  My library was used as a testing room (thus far only one magazine
has disappeared), but I was not in the library.  We had enough faculty
members out that I was testing for 2 days in one of the classrooms and spent
the third day as bathroom monitor.

Today I came in and the library was being set up for AP testing.  I was
asked if I could go work somewhere else until the testing was over.
Apparently, it is a testing violation if I am in here working quietly while
the students test at the other end of the room.  The testing coordinator
responded to my question of "Where do I go?" and "What am I supposed to do?"
by gathering the kids and taking them to another empty room.  I was a bit
surprised by her response and just attribute it to stress.

It always seems easy for the library to be the place to put students when
something ususual is going on at school.

Linda Gottman
Librarian
Edgewood Academy
San Antonio, Texas