The comment on time constraints struck a nerve.  I am an elementary library
and strongly advocate introducing the research process in Kindergarten.
Generally I just model the process.  A class comes in with a question and we all
move to the encyclopedia looking for an answer.  My goal is they begin to
understand that a library is a place to find answers.  From there I move on to
developing keywords and synonyms to research.  Bottom line for me is to teach the
kids the process.  That if you don't find info one way there is another way to
search.  Along with that I always stress working efficiently.  Many years ago
my husband, a lawyer, in preparing for a trial said he wrote down the answers
he wanted to hear from the witness stand.  That stuck with me.  I've turned it
around for research.  By developing keywords what relate to the topic,
identifying the most pertinent, and listing information located by the terms in a
list form I hope to teach my students to understand when they have found their
answers and can stop looking and that by only writing down the "treasure" words
(thank you Big 6) they can do researcher easily, efficiently, and effectively.
 Very often students are not taught how to prep for research.  The result is
copying out of a book in elementary and then outright plagiarism in MS/HS.  I
believe that by teaching the process in younger grades, older students can
focus on the assignment at hand.  This would help cut down on plagiarism. IMHO

Jennifer Rike
Roberta Tipps Elementary
3001 N. Walnut Creek Dr.
Mansfield, TX 76063