--=======6B0E33C=======

Here's what you shared with me. As you can see, there are some duplicates
in the list, so those must be pretty good :). I was specifically looking
for books, not periodicals, but some of you suggested a couple of those, too.

Thanks for all your help.

David, I'm not sure if these will work for you, but for my middle school I
just bought (from World Almanac) a series called High-tech Military Weapons
and another  called U.S. Navy Special Forces. I also have one called
Weapons of War. The kids here like them. They also like medieval weaponry
books. You could try Titlewave using a subject search.

We have several series of hunting/fishing books that we ordered through one
of our jobbers - Gumdrop Books.  One that students enjoy is called
_Hunter's Information Series_ from North American Hunting Club in
Minneapolis, Minn.

We have a series by Capstone that includes Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting,
Pheasant Hunting, Fly Fishing, Camping, Canoeing, Freshwater Fishing,
Hiking, Ice Fishing and Snowmobiling. These would probably be too easy for
high school, but would work for MS.

http://www.capstone-press.com (from their High-Interest Books)

Here's a bibliography of those we have--we are a small rural district and
deer and turkey hunting are very big here.  Hunter's Safety Course is
taught every year in the building after school by teacher volunteers.  You
might also consider a subscription to Deer and Deer Hunting magazine if
deer hunting is important to your students.

799.2 BLA
Bland, Dwain. Turkey hunter's digest. Rev. ed. Northbrook, Ill: DBI Books,
[1994].

799.2 Bow
Schuh, Dwight R. Bowhunting equipment & skills. Minnetonka, MN: Cowles Creative
    Pub, [1997].

799.2 CEA
Ceaser, Jonathan. Essential deer hunting for teens. New York: Children's
Press, [2000].

799.2 CLA
Clancy, Gary. White-tailed deer. Minnetonka, MN: Cy DeCosse Inc, [1991].

799.2 Cla
Clancy, Gary. Wild turkey. Minnetonka, MN: Cowles, [1996].

799.2 DAW
Dawson, Jim. Whitetail hunting. Harrisburg, PA: Stackpole Books, [1982].

799.2 FID
Fiduccia, Peter J. Whitetail strategies : a no-nonsense approach to
successful deer hunting. Bellvale, NY: Gotcha Products, Inc, [1995].

799.2 HAN
Hanback, Michael. Spring Fever Gobbler : Your Complete Guide to Spring
Turkey Hunting. Iola, WI: Krause Publications, [1996].

799.2 LAY
Laycock, George. The Deer Hunter's Bible. 4th ed. Garden Ciry, N.Y:
Doubleday, [1986].

799.2 MIL
Miller, Greg and Miller, Jeff. Aggressive Whitetail Hunting. Iola, WI:
Krause Publications, [1994].

799.2 NEW
NEWTON, DAVID E. Hunting. New York: F. Watts, [1992].

799.2 ROB
Robinson, Jerome B. In the turkey woods. New York: Lyons Press, [1998].

799.2 RUE
Rue, Leonard Lee. The deer hunter's encyclopedia. New York: Lyons Press,
[2000].

799.2 RUE
Rue, Leonard Lee III. Leonard Lee Rue III's whitetails : answers to all
your questions on life cycle, feeding patterns, antlers, scapes and rubs,
behavior during the rut, and habitat. 1st ed. Harrisburg, PA: Stackpole,
[1991].

799.2 Sam
Samuel, Dave and Schelitzche, Dave. Understanding whitetails. Minnetonka,
MN: Cy DeCosse/Cowles, [1996].

799.2 SMI
Smith, Richard P. Stand Hunting for Whitetails. Iola, WI: Krause
Publications, [1996].

799.2 Spo
Spomer, Ron and Clancy, Gary. Advanced whitetail hunting. Minnetonka, MN:
Cy DeCosse, [1996].

799.2 Ste
Sternberg, Dick and Simpson, Jeff. Duck hunting. Minnetonka, Minn: Cowles
Creative Pub, [1997].

799.2 TRO
Trout, John. Hunting farmland bucks : how to hunt North America's most
popular big game animal with bow and gun. Boonville, Ind: Midwest Hunting
Productions, [1993].

799.2 WOO
Wooters, John. Hunting Trophy Deer. Rev. and augmented ed. New York: Lyons &
    Burford, [1997].

799.24 TUR
Turkey hunting tactics : expert advice for locating, calling, and decoying
wild turkeys. Minnetonka, MN: Creative Pub. Int, [2000].

Death in the Long Grass by Peter Hathaway Capstick (haven't read it but the
reviews are great including my husband's)

The Ghost and the Darkness by J.H. Patterson (I haven't read this but the
movie is pretty graphic - you might want to consider HS rather than MS if
the book is like the movie)

Here at my MS-HS, these books have circulated well (get multiple copies for
hunting seasons):

Deer and Deer Hunting, Al Hofacker, ed. 0873412702

The Hunting and Fishing Library (series)
titles include:
Advanced Whitetail Hunting 0865730555
Duck Hunting 0865730652
North American Game Birds 0865730490
Fishing With Artifical Lures 0865730091
Fishing with Live Bait 0865730121
Advanced Bass Fishing 0865730415

Mason Crest Publishers catalog lists some nice looking hunting books.
www.masoncrest.com  (866) MCP-BOOK (toll-free).

We have joined the Outdoorsmans Edge book club. We have gotten several
books from them. Also we have purchased the Shooter's Bible and Guns
Illustrated from Sams.

Mason Crest's 3-vol. set "Complete Guide to Hunting"...individual titles
are "Hunting Arms", "Nature", and "Hunting Allies".

Children's Press:  "Essential Deer Hunting for Teens" by Ceaser

Rosen:  "Hunting: have fun, be smart" by Weaver

Clarion:  "A Family Goes Hunting" by Patent

All these titles are in a size and format suitable for middle schoolers.

I do hunt... so I do recommend these.... but I also recommend you get books
that are specific to types of hunting, such as deer, rabbit, and
bowhunting...  I really like to emphasize that the books should all address
safety.

Hunting: Have Fun, Be Smart  (Series: Explore the Outdoors) 2000 The Rosen
Publishing Group
isbn 0-8239-3167-6

The following I found at the discount store... for exceptional prices. Even
tho "The Art of Hunting" is a very old copyright..it is up-to-date in it's
looks... not outdated , overall.

There is a series by Rosen called Explore the Outdoors and one by
Children's Press called Outdoor Life.  Both have books on hunting and
fishing.  A acquired two series a while back that are excellent (Hunter's
Information Series and the Complete Angler's Library).  One was published
by the North American Hunting Club and the other by the North American
Fishing Club.  These might be available through a used book store or Amazon.

I am in upstate NY and hunting is a big thing here. One consideration would
be to add Field & Stream to your periodical collection. I purchased a book
last year that was good- The Complete Guide to Hunting: Proven tips &
techniques for big game, small game, upland birds, turkeys & waterfowl. The
editor is Don Oster,  ISBN: 0-86573-097-0. This book includes skills and
equipment (rifles, muzzleloaders, bowhunting, etc.) and also has
strategies. There was input by many different wildlife agencies &
companies. A good overview of many aspects of the sport.

David Lininger, kb0zke
LMS, Hickory County R-1 Schools
Urbana, MO 65767
mailto: tss003@mail.connect.more.net