Hi Netters:

Since most of my posts are pleas for help or vents, this time I'd just like
to share something positive that happened.  Last night all four LMS's in our
district made a presentation to our school board.  We worked for weeks
planning and preparing for the event.  We used one of Keith Curry Lance's
powerpoint presentations on the real role of the librarian along with info
on the New Mexico school libray study and the standards that grew out of
that, the Ohio study and the SLJ article "Dick and Jane go to the head of
the class".  I covered the standards part and made clear to our board that
our district libraries aren't even meeting minimum standards in most areas.
We all went in prepared and gave a very convincing presentation.  The board
was clearly excited and impressed. They asked insightful and interesting
questions, which we were fully prepared to answer.  The high school senior
that serves on the board then gave a voluntary testimony as to how she had
discovered while trying to do papers that the really useful and in-depth
information that she had needed was in the print resources in the library,
not on the internet. I could have jumped up and hugged her for that.

I don't know what may come out of our efforts last night, but I am just so
thrilled that our board members and many people in the audience listened and
heard what we were saying.  We encountered no negativity or resistance at
all.  Ever since the Dick and Jane article appeared, I've been trying to
tell our administration about all the things we could be doing for our
schools, but they've never been willing to hear me out.  It was so great to
finally accomplish that goal in such a dynamic way.  I'm very encouraged
about the future of our library programs here in Socorro.

Marian Royal
Librarian
Parkview Elementary School
Socorro, NM