Library Media Assistant Interview Questions: Page 2

 A rubric can be found at
http://library.lhs.usd497.org/LibraryMediaAssistant.htm

1. Describe your strengths and weaknesses.

2. Considering your education and work experience, why do you feel

 you are qualified for this job?

3. What do you see as the value of belonging to professional organizations?

4. Why did you apply for this job?

5. What is your philosophy of collection development?

6. Do you like working with people?

7. Do you have any experience with audio-visual materials?

8. Do you have any experience in setting up displays?

9. How do you feel that your education has prepared you for this job?

10. Where do you expect to be professionally in five years?

11. How would you handle a person who objects to a sex education book on the
shelf?

12. How would you handle a question that you can't answer immediately?

13. Is there any time that you would refuse to answer a patron's request?

14. If we ask your present supervisor what your present strengths are, what
would he/she say?

15. Why should we hire you?

16. Name two books you have read within the past two months and describe one
of them as though you were recommending it to a patron to read. Why would
they want to read it?

17. What qualities do you think we should look for in a prospective
employee?

18. Considering your working career, tell about the most stressful event you
ever faced, and how you coped with it.

20. What did you do to prepare for this interview?

21. What is your style of leadership?

22. Describe your ideal job.

23. What was your most challenging supervisory experience?

26. If you were assisting a person at the desk and the telephone rang, what
would you do?

27. How do you see this job as challenging to you? What will motivate you to
come to work?

30. Can you tell us about a particularly tense or chaotic situation at work
and how you handled the incident?

31. What would you do if you heard someone provide a student or teacher with
an incorrect answer?

32. Tell us about a team or group project you have worked on and how you
have contributed to it.

33. Tell us about your experience with information technology.

34. Why are you interested in this particular position?

35. What strengths do you bring to this position and what areas would you
like to improve?

36. What are the things you particularly like about your present job?

37. What was your most important work-related accomplishment in the past
year?

38. What contributions could you make to our library?

39. How would you describe your management philosophy?

40. What type of management style do you prefer?

41. What sorts of people do you enjoy working with most?

42. What kinds of situations do you find stressful?

45. What is your public service experience?

46. What is your knowledge and/or experience of library technology: CD ROMs,
online searching, OPACs, Internet.

47. How does this position fit into the career path you have set for
yourself?

48. Give us an example of a time in which you felt you were able to build
motivation in your coworkers or fellow students in school.

49. Describe the most significant achievement or written
project/presentation/report which you have had to complete.

50. What are your strengths and weaknesses as a worker?

51. Give us an example you did in a former job that contributed to a
teamwork environment.

52. What would you do if you were unsure of how to answer a reference
question?

53. What are your current research interests?

Do you enjoy reading? Will you be reading our level of books to
recommend to students if needed? Two that would have saved me some
headaches.

Can you accept change.

Martha Oldham

Librarian