It seems to me that there are benefits both ways. Sometimes a limited
number of resources must be shared by several classes. If the first
class finds and checks out most of the books, what does that leave later
classes? A cartful of resources can really help later classes. On the
other hand, there is benefit in letting the students find their own
materials.

My solution is to NOT let classes check materials out, nor do I
generally pull resources for them. Rather, I will pull one or two books
that are not obvious, and use them as examples. When the first class
comes in, the sample books are still on the shelf. I tell them to put
any books they find helpful (pull the samples) on THIS table (put
samples there). I explain that two or three other classes are coming in,
and they will all want the same books. If everyone puts the books they
find helpful on the table I will check the entire lot out to the teacher
at the end of the day.

I would think that only the first class would actually have to look for
sources, but it seems that even the last class wants to contribute
something to the pile! Anyway, it usually takes two or three students to
carry the books for the teacher.

--
David Lininger, kb0zke,
Hickory County R-1 Schools