Dear Netters:
Here are the responses about the video series "Liberty Kids" being sold by
PBS. I( did not include the names of the people who responded because I
couldn't remember if I was supposed to or not. )

My daughter watched this show on TV last year.  She's second grade, but they
are a little over her head, so I think 5th grade would be fine for them.
It's an animated series about three kids during the American Revolution.
Ben Franklin is voiced by Walter Cronkite, if I remember, and there are all
sorts of fun guest voices like Arnold Schwartzenegger as General von Steuben
(is that the right name; it's awfully late and my brain isn't too sharp).
They add spots that are like the news, rebus-style puzzles, and comparisons
between American life then and now.  I thought they were very good shows,
and was thrilled how much information my daughter picked up about American
history.  I would recommend them; didn't know they were available on video.
-----
These are great for 5th grade. I used many of them myself.
-----
Oh that show is great. I don't have a copy of it but it's on every weekend
on tv so if she is interested in viewing an episode she can check out her
local listings (I just watch it for fun). Here is a link to their website
http://www.dicentertainment.com/shows/prop_libertyskids.php
-----
They are wonderful! I love them. The cartoon format really works with visual
learners. They are different places where they can be paused. My school does
not have them currently, but it will before my year is done!
-----
I have purchased them and like so many other videos, the first year we have
them , they are used. After that they seem to sit on the shelf. Just my
experience at my school. Sometimes, I put them in teacher's boxes to get
them "out of the library."
-----
Our 5th grade used the tapes when they first came out. If we had maintained
the fifth grade Humanities team the tapes would still be used. Unfortunately
a new team is in place and the tapes have been sidelined. Our 5th graders
enjoyed them immensely. The tapes were a great backup to what was being
taught in the class.
-----
Check your local PBS station to see when they are on air.  My own kids (4th
& 6th) like to watch it.  They are 30 minute cartoons about history. Very
cute.  Watch them for free before you buy!
-----
Our 5th grade teacher used to have her class watch this show last year.
It is my understanding that is no longer a PBS show and she was very
disappointed to see that it wasn't on the PBS schedule this year.  She
said the kids really enjoyed it even though it is a cartoon (our kids are
quite "innocent" so I guess it depends on the population).  My 6 year old
also really enjoyed watching it although I don't know how much of the
actual history he understood.  Are these videos available through PBS?  I
think our 5th grade teacher would request that I order them if they are
available.  Do you have a source I could use to order them?  Thanks!
-----
I personally have not used them but our county purchased them and built them
into the curriculum this past summer.  They came into the Media Center this
fall and the 5th grade teachers have been using them often.  I think they
like them.  If you want to email one of our 5th grade teachers directly,
feel free to email me and I will send you one of their addresses.
-----
We use them for fifth and sixth grades and the teacher LOVE them.  Most
videos of this type tend to be for higher grades.  Our district has
bought 3 sets so we don't have such a struggle sharing.
-----
Our 5th grade teacher used to have her class watch this show last year.
It is my understanding that is no longer a PBS show and she was very
disappointed to see that it wasn't on the PBS schedule this year.  She
said the kids really enjoyed it even though it is a cartoon (our kids are
quite "innocent" so I guess it depends on the population).  My 6 year old
also really enjoyed watching it although I don't know how much of the
actual history he understood.  Are these videos available through PBS?  I
think our 5th grade teacher would request that I order them if they are
available.  Do you have a source I could use to order them?  Thanks!
-----
Our PTO helped to purchase the first 16 tapes last year - the teachers and
students love them!!  They fit our PASS objectives very well and their are
teacher resources online to use with them.

Thank you, everyone. I decided to purchase one and go from there!
Joyce Pavelko
Learning Center Director
Ivy Hall School
1072 Ivy Hall Lane